Stucco/cement enclosure at OKC zoo. Tortoise enclosure

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I think it looks lovely but my concern would be that that level of texturing would make it even easier for my escape artists to scale the wall and get out....

I think if I was going to do something like that, I'd make it as smooth as possible on the inside and then richly textured on the outwards facing side.

Jamie

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I think it looks lovely but my concern would be that that level of texturing would make it even easier for my escape artists to scale the wall and get out....

I think if I was going to do something like that, I'd make it as smooth as possible on the inside and then richly textured on the outwards facing side.

Jamie

Yes, a bit too much texture, but we don’t know what type or size of tortoises are going in there. They might not yet be finished. It's a good natural look that’s for sure.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My leopard tortoise has rubbed his shell down in 2 spots because of concrete.

In one area he was walking in between the wooden fence and garden pavers. The other area was from walking behind the electric meter and against the concrete foundation on my house. He not only wore his own shell down, he wore down the brick AND wore out a gash in my house foundation.

Eventually I moved the garden pavers and filled the gap behind the meter with logs. So far, so good. However, experiencing what I have with my tortoise, I'd never use concrete, stucco or bricks as a perimeter.

Plenty of folks use the big cinder blocks without issue. So maybe it's just Levi that can't be housed like this 🤣 :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, a bit too much texture, but we don’t know what type or size of tortoises are going in there. They might not yet be finished. It's a good natural look that’s for sure.
They've got the top edge rolled inward to keep them from climbing out.