Stunted Growth, poor environment?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Are these the dead parasites or merely the eggs that have be expelled in the feces?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The pics are very clear. What I learned from my work with vets and parisitolgy lectures in school was that it is very difficult to diagnose these things. Do you know what this is? There are all sorts of thing in poop. It is not typical for a young CB sulcata to be carrying around parasites, although it is certainly possible. Much more likely that it at something on a leaf of lettuce or in the enclosure and that is what you are seeing.

In your other post you said it was pinworms. Are you sure of that? Its certainly possible as pinworm eggs can literally blow in on the breeze. Just making sure you are using the right medicine for the right parasite in the right dose. I'm not doubting you, its just that many people mess this up.

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
I had the vet double check the slides for me. She said parasitic intestinal worms. Pinworms is kind of a broader category, she didn't tell me the specific species of parasite. I spun three separate samples in the centrifuge then I ran two samples on her sibling's fecal. I was thankful the lady who has her sibling obliged me. Same parasitic eggs for both torts and they live in apart with different diets. You can't just smear a piece of poop on the slide, there's a process to remove as much vegetation as possible. Once you locate the outline structure of an egg, they are pretty easy to tell apart from vegetation and substrate because the pattern repeats sporadically through the slide. Morla's sibling had about 3x the amount of eggs than she did. So, without any history on the breeder, where she came from or her early life...I can only say she does have some intestinal parasites but not as infected as her sibling.

I'm just as perplexed as to the how and why she contracted them. With no way of tracking down her breeder, I doubt I'll ever know. Maybe she isn't even CB? Who knows really.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had the vet double check the slides for me. She said parasitic intestinal worms. Pinworms is kind of a broader category, she didn't tell me the specific species of parasite. I spun three separate samples in the centrifuge then I ran two samples on her sibling's fecal. I was thankful the lady who has her sibling obliged me. Same parasitic eggs for both torts and they live in apart with different diets. You can't just smear a piece of poop on the slide, there's a process to remove as much vegetation as possible. Once you locate the outline structure of an egg, they are pretty easy to tell apart from vegetation and substrate because the pattern repeats sporadically through the slide. Morla's sibling had about 3x the amount of eggs than she did. So, without any history on the breeder, where she came from or her early life...I can only say she does have some intestinal parasites but not as infected as her sibling.

I'm just as perplexed as to the how and why she contracted them. With no way of tracking down her breeder, I doubt I'll ever know. Maybe she isn't even CB? Who knows really.

They stopped importing WC sulcatas in the late 90's. The government banned importation. All hatchling sulcatas in this country are CB.

Please keep us posted on which medicine you are using and how well the treatment goes for you.

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
I will keep this thread updated for sure. My vet friend was supposed to bring panacur to me at the office today. Unfortunately, I've been sick and probably won't start treatment until Wednesday after I return to the office to get it. Thanks for the info on CB vs WB. That's a good fact to know. If we know for sure they are cb, where in the world might they have contracted the parasites from?