Question for Tom the master

Thessle

Location (City and/or State)
Maine
So I’ve upped Molly’s humidity and baths. Sometime up to 2 hours a day with warm water mists in between. Now I notice the pyramiding you were talking about but now it’s been awhile that I’m giving longer baths and misting in between….my question is I notice the pyramiding is more prominent in her front than her back. Does that mean I’m finally getting things right or am I still doing something wrong?. She loves her baths and her preferred temp is about 96 degeees. But when I put her in her water sometimes it seems she gets so happy she does a happy dance for me if you know what I mean…that and her daily poop in her water really make my day…...that’s when the temp is about 100-101 degrees….I hope I’m getting this right and I know your the only one that can tell me …you have the knowledge OBIWAN
I bow to my master

Thessle

Maine
I apologize for spelling or grammar errors but I take care of my mother 24/7nwho is 90 with Alzheimer’s and get no help from my useless sister and trying to keep up on my mom and my sweet dog Molly and Milly my turtle can be a handful ….I get tired and can’t even see str8 sometimes..I hope you forgive me

Thessle

Maine
And that’s only half the story but I needent bother you more

Thessle

Maine
If I die or Milly die no big deal …I’ve come close so many times it doesn’t even scare me anymore….infact somtimes I’d almost welcome it….but i really do love Milly and want to give her the best life possible…hopefully I won’t drop dead before I can either teach my dumb *** daughter how to take care of her of I finally get some help with my mom but that’s just a Lott of wishing that prob won’t amount to much

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
If I die or Milly die no big deal …I’ve come close so many times it doesn’t even scare me anymore….infact somtimes I’d almost welcome it….but i really do love Milly and want to give her the best life possible…hopefully I won’t drop dead before I can either teach my dumb *** daughter how to take care of her of I finally get some help with my mom but that’s just a Lott of wishing that prob won’t amount to much
Hope things get better man

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I’ve upped Molly’s humidity and baths. Sometime up to 2 hours a day with warm water mists in between. Now I notice the pyramiding you were talking about but now it’s been awhile that I’m giving longer baths and misting in between….my question is I notice the pyramiding is more prominent in her front than her back. Does that mean I’m finally getting things right or am I still doing something wrong?. She loves her baths and her preferred temp is about 96 degeees. But when I put her in her water sometimes it seems she gets so happy she does a happy dance for me if you know what I mean…that and her daily poop in her water really make my day…...that’s when the temp is about 100-101 degrees….I hope I’m getting this right and I know your the only one that can tell me …you have the knowledge OBIWAN
I bow to my master
I'm no master. I'm still learning and sharing, just like everyone else.

You only need to soak about 30-40 minutes a day. 2 hours won't hurt anything, but it isn't necessary.

95 degree water is mighty fine. I think 100-101 is a bit too high.

Pyramiding is usually fairly even all around, though sometimes more noticeable on top than other areas. I can't say I've seen it more noticeable on the front or back though. Can we see some pics?

Once pyramiding has started, it is exceedingly difficult to stop it. It takes time. My first one took nearly two years to start growing normally and for the new growth to really smooth out. A closed chamber with constant high humidity, simulating the monsoon season that they hatch into in the wild, is the best "medicine".

Thessle

Maine
I knew you could help me….I think it might be like you said …now that I’m giving her enough humidity as she grows the back end is smoother than the front…..her outgrowing the bad job I was doing to start with…it’s very subtle.
im not sure you’ll even notice from the pictures but she isn’t growing that fast. I’ve only been doing things right since you pointed out the errors of my ways.
also in my eyes you will always be the Master….I bow before you and tip my hat to you. Your a good man!!

Attachments

• 0E1ED666-8681-4B06-A64E-F80D7B1AB6F6.jpeg
    0E1ED666-8681-4B06-A64E-F80D7B1AB6F6.jpeg
    843.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 18EDBB90-59F6-40DA-B2FA-4479806A3FEA.jpeg
    18EDBB90-59F6-40DA-B2FA-4479806A3FEA.jpeg
    836.7 KB · Views: 7

Thessle

Maine
I knew you could help me….I think it might be like you said …now that I’m giving her enough humidity as she grows the back end is smoother than the front…..her outgrowing the bad job I was doing to start with…it’s very subtle.
im not sure you’ll even notice from the pictures but she isn’t growing that fast. I’ve only been doing things right since you pointed out the errors of my ways.
also in my eyes you will always be the Master….I bow before you and tip my hat to you. Your a good man!!
Oh and your absolutely right about those temps….to the degree….see it’s stuff like that that keep you the master.

Thessle

Maine
Ya know what….I wish someone would make one of those Kane ? Sp mats for smaller torts….the ones I use are small and short out fast. Once I was sitting on couch because I’m always home watch my mom and have no life to speak of and I start smelling smoke…I’m looking around trying to figure where it was coming from. Well by the time I saw the smoke billowing out I knew right away…Molly’s heating mat shorted and even her moist cococoir?sp
was burning up from the shorted heating mat. She had moved away from it in her box but it was all charred and there were red hot burning embers…..if I wasn’t home the whole house would have burned down.Milly has now survived a dog attack and a fire poor thing..but she is still alive and very happy from what I can tell. She is a real trooper.
‘Thing is now even though I am getting a break from my mom I’m afraid to leave the house because of another short.Someone needs to make a small size Kane type mat for little torts ….iknow id buy one if I ever saw one.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ya know what….I wish someone would make one of those Kane ? Sp mats for smaller torts….the ones I use are small and short out fast. Once I was sitting on couch because I’m always home watch my mom and have no life to speak of and I start smelling smoke…I’m looking around trying to figure where it was coming from. Well by the time I saw the smoke billowing out I knew right away…Molly’s heating mat shorted and even her moist cococoir?sp
was burning up from the shorted heating mat. She had moved away from it in her box but it was all charred and there were red hot burning embers…..if I wasn’t home the whole house would have burned down.Milly has now survived a dog attack and a fire poor thing..but she is still alive and very happy from what I can tell. She is a real trooper.
‘Thing is now even though I am getting a break from my mom I’m afraid to leave the house because of another short.Someone needs to make a small size Kane type mat for little torts ….iknow id buy one if I ever saw one.
Not tortoise-related, but is your mom a candidate for hospice care? If so Medicare would cover it and you could have help with her daily care virtually as much as you needed it.

I have had a lot of experience with hospice care with both of my in-laws and now my wife, all of whom had/have stage 4 lung cancer.

It might be worth looking into hospice if you haven't already done so.

Good luck.

Thessle

Maine
Not tortoise-related, but is your mom a candidate for hospice care? If so Medicare would cover it and you could have help with her daily care virtually as much as you needed it.

I have had a lot of experience with hospice care with both of my in-laws and now my wife, all of whom had/have stage 4 lung cancer.

It might be worth looking into hospice if you haven't already done so.

Good luck.
Yea I just went through Hospice care with my father …he had cancer and died peacefully in his bed at home the way it should be…with loved ones around not nursing home or hospital staff taking care of him…I was taking care of him as my moms mind was going…she didn’t even grieve when he died because she was clueless…but my mom is just Alzheimer’s and diabetic…not a hospice candidate.. I appreciate your trying to help though. What I need is my good for nothing sister to help me a little more.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yea I just went through Hospice care with my father …he had cancer and died peacefully in his bed at home the way it should be…with loved ones around not nursing home or hospital staff taking care of him…I was taking care of him as my moms mind was going…she didn’t even grieve when he died because she was clueless…but my mom is just Alzheimer’s and diabetic…not a hospice candidate.. I appreciate your trying to help though. What I need is my good for nothing sister to help me a little more.
Well, you've got my best wishes.

My mother had very bad dementia (almost indistinguishable from Alzheimer's) for 10 years. It got to be very trying at times.

Try to remain calm and enjoy your tortoise whenever you can do so.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My mother is in a nursing home and requires around the clock care.
Finding a great home is very difficult. And they are few and far between.
Luckily my mother is still able to communicate with the staff and myself and we are able to keep her as comfortable and as dignified as we can.
I'm in awe of anyone that can take 100% care of another adult with needs like that.
Especially if you yourself have health issues and other responsibilities.
Like your mother, my mother is not in critical condition. In fact she may still outlive me. And I've set up her care to continue if that happens.
Its all very sad.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I miss my Mom and Dad like crazy. He died while she had Alzheimer's and she died less than 2 years later in a nursing home. Having pets of any kind and looking after them comforts me and helps me not to get depressed. I hope somehow these pets can feel the love I feel for them.

Thessle

Maine
Thank you all for your kindness and well wishes…I do my best and it is very hard all the time but I’ll keep my mom home and take care of her till the end. Just like my Dad. I just hope I don’t die before her because my good for nothing sister would put her in a home in a heartbeat.
‘You are all good people…your parents raised you all well.
Yea my dog Molly fills the female void for me at the moment…she showers me with love and is such a smart dog.
She rings her bell when she needs to be let out back to go potty and if it is too cold or raining she uses those potty pads and never misses. She is spoiled rotten but deserves every bit of it. She even licks any boo boo I have no matter how big or small every day faithfully till it heals.
‘Did you know a dogs saliva has a natural antibiotic in it. ? That’s why they lick their wounds. Their mouths are cleaner than ours…so dog lovers out there let your little pooches kiss you all they want ….you won’t catch cooties
Lol😂

Thessle

Maine
I'm no master. I'm still learning and sharing, just like everyone else.

You only need to soak about 30-40 minutes a day. 2 hours won't hurt anything, but it isn't necessary.

95 degree water is mighty fine. I think 100-101 is a bit too high.

Pyramiding is usually fairly even all around, though sometimes more noticeable on top than other areas. I can't say I've seen it more noticeable on the front or back though. Can we see some pics?

Once pyramiding has started, it is exceedingly difficult to stop it. It takes time. My first one took nearly two years to start growing normally and for the new growth to really smooth out. A closed chamber with constant high humidity, simulating the monsoon season that they hatch into in the wild, is the best "medicine".
Posted a couple pictures for you.

Attachments

• BD8F9C9D-8D9D-4296-AB9A-DEEE9740E491.jpeg
    BD8F9C9D-8D9D-4296-AB9A-DEEE9740E491.jpeg
    843.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 9CD62D69-D01A-4DF1-A2AD-1C5C24161F64.jpeg
    9CD62D69-D01A-4DF1-A2AD-1C5C24161F64.jpeg
    836.7 KB · Views: 3

Thessle

Maine
I have realized now that when living in Maine a Sulcata was not a wise choice of tortoise’s or a cheap one. I would have been much better off with a smaller breed. Oh well live and learn…and I usually learn the hard way unfortunately. I will still do my best to give Milly a hopefully long and happy life. I know she makes mine much happier 😊. I❤️🐢

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Posted a couple pictures for you.
I see some shell damage there and I can't remember your tortoise's history. Did she have a run-in with a dog? It will take months of growth to see a noticeable reduction in pyramiding once a tortoise is moved into a large closed chamber with the correct temperatures and humidity.

Just some helpful tips: Heat mats should not be used under small tortoises in indoor set ups, though large "pig blanket" style ones are fine for larger tortoises in outdoor type housing situations.

Also, the color in your pics seems purple-ish. Colored bulbs shouldn't be used over tortoises day or night.

I'll leave this here for review in case anyone reading would like to see it:
Here is a breakdown of the four heating and lighting essentials:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. In most cases you'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night. Some people in colder climates or with larger enclosures will need multiple CHEs or RHPs to spread out enough heat.
  3. Ambient light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in LED bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In colder climates, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html A good UV bulb only needs to run for 2-3 hours mid day. You need the basking bulb and the ambient lighting to be on at least 12 hours a day.