Stupid question... Corn??

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake_girl85

5 Year Member
Things are FINALLY (slowly) starting to green up here in central IL... I've been contemplating all the safe places I have access to for tortoise snacks, and what plants I have available to me, and it suddenly dawned on me.

Is corn alright for tortoises?

Not the kernals/cobs, but the husks and leaves. I live in Illinois, God knows I have plenty of access to the stuff, lol. Corn/maize is a domesticated and modified grass species, so is it safe? Anyone know the nutritional value of the green parts of the plant? The leaves may be a little irritating, but I would think the husks would be edible...

Just a thought. If it's an empty/useless food I won't bother, but it got me wondering...

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't have an answer to your question, but you have an awesome collection of reptiles. What species is the spotted python? I love the womas, but a friend of mine has three black headed pythons. I'll try to get pics for you. My red tegu is still hibernating, but I'll be waking her up soon. Sorry to take up space here, but I had to compliment your fantastic collection.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
For many years I've thrown corn husks and silk into my tortoise enclosures. Some of them will occasionally eat the silk but none seem to show any interest in the husk. I end up picking back out of the enclosures a few days later!
I really don't know what, if any nutrional value is found in corn husks. I've never looked it up. I also occasionally feed mine corn on the cob too.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Where in central IL do you live? I'm from IL too but I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
GBtortoises said:
For many years I've thrown corn husks and silk into my tortoise enclosures. Some of them will occasionally eat the silk but none seem to show any interest in the husk. I end up picking back out of the enclosures a few days later!
I really don't know what, if any nutrional value is found in corn husks. I've never looked it up. I also occasionally feed mine corn on the cob too.

By silk do you mean that annoying hair when you're peeling the cob?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Yes that's what the corn silk is :) It is annoying...oh the memories of shucking corn when I was younger...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
there are no stupid questions, only stupid, ummm give me a moment it will come to me.

snake_girl85

5 Year Member
Roachman - Thanks for the compliment :) The spotted is A. maculosa, she's a granite morph. Normally I don't care for morphs, but the iridescence on this girl is incredible! I love the womas, but I am dying to get blackheads, they're my absolute favorite snake, but a little out of my price range!

ChiKat - We live just outside of Bloomington. We actually picked up Oogway (our leopard baby) at the extra NARBC they had in Tinley last month.

GBTortoises - You mean there may actually be a use for cornsilk?? lol.

Thanks for your responses:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
snake_girl85 said:
Roachman - Thanks for the compliment :) The spotted is A. maculosa, she's a granite morph. Normally I don't care for morphs, but the iridescence on this girl is incredible! I love the womas, but I am dying to get blackheads, they're my absolute favorite snake, but a little out of my price range!

ChiKat - We live just outside of Bloomington. We actually picked up Oogway (our leopard baby) at the extra NARBC they had in Tinley last month.

GBTortoises - You mean there may actually be a use for cornsilk?? lol.

Thanks for your responses:)

Pics for you:
ifbzq1.jpg

wb9jl5.jpg

Here's the reason they brought me on this job:
13z0dva.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The M&M snake...that's venomous, right? What a fat body.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
snake_girl85 said:

Very cool, I used to go to ISU.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
You mean there may actually be a use for cornsilk?? lol.

Well honestly, it's the only use for it that I've ever found except for throwing it at people when they tell you that you're not shucking fast enough!

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
What kewl snakes! Hey Roachman, how'd you get a 'Tonight show' back stage pass? Please do tell! Oh and I know nothing about corn and torts, but I'm learning by this 'not stupid' post. Thanks for posting it Snakegirl!

snake_girl85

5 Year Member
*Drool* LOVE blackheads! thanks for sharing. Adorable little Gaboon viper as well. They're my favorite hot, but I think I'll stick to the harmless critters for now. How old is that one? Looks tiny...

This is my pride and joy right here... 04 Rainbow boa. I got a young female for him, once she grows up I'm going to try my hand at breeding them.

shinynicoball.jpg

Getting back on topic... Oogway is growing like a weed! I have had him for exactly a month and there is already lots of noticeable growth on his shell. I'll have to post some new pics later...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a beautiful snake! I love those too. That Gaboon was about 3 months old in that pic. We had them on the Tonight Show.

S

Scooter

Your Rainbow is just gorgeous! I'm sure he will make beautiful babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.