Substrate and humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
Hi I was just wondering what kind of substrates you all use and think are best? Also I'm having trouble keeping and maintaining any humidity(how much is needed), Help please?!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
For a Russian, humidity doesn't seem to be as important as they don't tend to pyramid as easily. If you use a moist substrate, you are already ahead of the game with humidity for a Russian. I use aspen as do a lot of others and I haven't heard of anyone have a Russian pyramid. The two cases I've ever seen seemed to be more poor diet related than humidity related. So personally, I would recommend aspen shavings. Others use cyprus mulch, orchid bark, or coconut coir. Try a few and see what you and your tort like and what is easy to get in your area (or online, which is usually cheapest). I pick up my aspen in 45 lb bags from The Bean Farm for $25 or $30 (can't remember), but I'm within driving distance...not sure how much they charge for shipping. For the same price the pet stores would sell you maybe 2 very small bags. If you choose to maintain humidity higher than your ambient room humidity, you need a moist substrate, and you need to pour water on it and mix it up every few days to maintain the humidity (the three I listed besides the aspen you can do this with). A moist substrate didn't work for a few reasons for me, primarily because I live in a damp climate and with the moist substrate couldn't maintain a warm enough enclosure without a lot of supplemental heat as I keep my house cold.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
When mine are inside I use 50% coconut coir and 50% sand, although I've been rethinking some of this lately - thanks to GB! I put my Hermann's on straight coir with a little soil mixed in and I'm loving it. If possible - get them outside and you won't have to worry about substrate. A good site for you to check out is: russiantortosie.org
Good luck!

M

Maggie Cummings

Cypress mulch is what I use and I just love it...

chadk

10 Year Member!
Russians are diggers and burrowers. A good substrate is one that can hold a little moisture and allow the tort to dig and burrow. If you don't give them an area to dig, you'll probably hear or see them just staring in a corner digging at the walls for hours on end. Seems kinda sad not to just give them a digging area. When kept outside, they will almost always dig down into my soil to sleep.

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to look into some of these and try them out! My Russian definitely loves to burrow. I keep the substrate pretty deep and Franklin always seems to get to the bottom :)

Status
Not open for further replies.