Substrate and more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastasia

5 Year Member
As I was carrying Pepper from her cage to the scale, she of course decided to FLOOD the floor with her pee! The upside to this was I was able to see clearly that her urates were a bit gritty, so I know I need to provide her with even more humidity and soaks more often.

I currently have her on aspen with a humid hide that has sphagnum moss in it, but I would like to replace the aspen with something else. She's 6.5". Is that still small enough (or is it too big) to have a moist substrate throughout the enclosure? Can I use all sphagnum moss and pack it down, or would something like bed-a-brick be better?

Since I will be doing this, I will redo Harvey's too (my 2.5" Sully). Since last measurement three weeks ago, Harvey has actually lost a gram (while Pepper has gained over 50 grams), so I know I need to make some serious changes to his enclosure, and will go the "all humid" route with him. Again, would sphagnum moss be okay throughout the entire enclosure? I live near a greenhouse and can get big bags cheaply.

Lastly, I know this would be better off on another board but... while I"m redoing enclosures, I was thinking about my Hermanns and Leo torties. Both are about 4 years old - the Hermanns is 3.5" and Leo is 4.5". The Hermann's shell is nice and smooth; she spends a lot of time in her shallow water dish; always has but NEVER goes in the humid hide! She's just a water lover at heart! LOL! The Leo does have some pyramiding and until I joined this group I didn't know about the humid hide so now that I am providing him with that, he is in his humid hide daily. I would assume since Hermann is doing well, I don't need to change her. But as for Leo, would he have similar needs (as far as humidity) as my Sulcatas? Should I be providing him with as much humidity and moisture (in the substrate) as the Sullies? It seems like I'm providing really similar environments for all three types of Tortoises, so was wondering if I should make the same changes for all of them!

Thanks!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
Have you tested for parasites..weigh loss...
And many people use Coco coir...mix..

Anastasia

5 Year Member
No I haven't but I was going to give them all some pumpkin, as I heard that can help with worms? Is that true?

Oh I also wanted to ask if there is a list somewhere of foods that Sulcatas can NOT eat, period, not even for a snack?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
If you go in the sulcata section probably.....
If not inbox maggi3fan she will help as she has had sulcatas for 15years....
Yes butternut squash and pumpkin are wormers..

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
you can private message Tom, he knows a ton, ton, ton about Sulcatas too
these are the threads that Tom gave me when I first joined the forum.
They might be helpful

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Tort...z1bARcvNVw

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-...z1bARcvNVw

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Leop...z1bARcvNVw

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Easy...z1bARcvNVw

Come back after you've read those and fire away with all your questions.
:) Pictures of your babies would be awesome to see

M

Maggie Cummings

It is NOT the squashes that are de wormers, you have to grind up the seeds into a mush and feed that. Or you can buy Panacur from the feed store and use that. I'm sure you can find the dosage on line. Or PM someone who has experience with Sulcata and they should know the dosage versus weight...

Aspen is not a good substrate for Sulcata. Coir is good but I like cypress mulch the best. You can also use orchid bark fine grade

Status
Not open for further replies.