Substrate question

JoshGoldberg

Would i be able to use pure sphagnum moss for my substrate? It will be easier to clean and lil z wony get as messy but would it work?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't think so. Yes, he can bury himself in it, but it would be pretty hard for him to walk on.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It can get tangled on them, molds easily and some tend to eat it. I hated it when I first got my leopard and was told by the breeder to use it. I switched to coconut coir right after finding this forum. It holds humidity the best won't mold, won't cause impactions and if you pat it down good and every day that it gets a little loose, it won't stick to him as much.

JoshGoldberg

It can get tangled on them, molds easily and some tend to eat it. I hated it when I first got my leopard and was told by the breeder to use it. I switched to coconut coir right after finding this forum. It holds humidity the best won't mold, won't cause impactions and if you pat it down good and every day that it gets a little loose, it won't stick to him as much.
Sphagnum moss molds? I was told to use new zealand sphagnum moss that is long stranded because it wouldnt mold

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know about that kind but mine did and the long strands get wrapped around them and can be dangerous. I wouldn't use it myself.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine all try to eat it. Orchid bark works best.

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Montreal
Do you feed a lot of lettuce and grocery store produce?

What is your calcium supplementation routine?
i leave a cuttlebone piece in it, he can chew it at any time he wants, and i provide him calcium and vita-D3 regularly like twice a week. he's not short in those supplement, he just wants to chew on those when he gets hungry

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i leave a cuttlebone piece in it, he can chew it at any time he wants, and i provide him calcium and vita-D3 regularly like twice a week. he's not short in those supplement, he just wants to chew on those when he gets hungry

I asked because some people over supplement calcium and it causes the tortoise to eat things it shouldn't. Over supplementation of calcium can interfere with the absorption of other important minerals and trace elements. This imbalance can sometimes cause them to eat substrate or rocks or wood, etc… Glad this is not your issue.

The other two things that sometimes cause this are colored light bulbs and feeding lot of grocery store greens which are too low in fiber and have the wrong ca : ph ratio and/or nutrient content. Are you using a red or blue bulb for heat? What do you feed?

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Montreal
I asked because some people over supplement calcium and it causes the tortoise to eat things it shouldn't. Over supplementation of calcium can interfere with the absorption of other important minerals and trace elements. This imbalance can sometimes cause them to eat substrate or rocks or wood, etc… Glad this is not your issue.

The other two things that sometimes cause this are colored light bulbs and feeding lot of grocery store greens which are too low in fiber and have the wrong ca : ph ratio and/or nutrient content. Are you using a red or blue bulb for heat? What do you feed?
At the moment, i feed him spring mix and dry hay alternatively, and the light bulb i use during the day is powersun, hmm can't remember the name, but i know it's hella expensive, enough UVB and UVA. And CHE(100w) for night.

I'm going to plant some grass seed for him, the seed i got from home-depot is shown in the attached pictures. they don't have 100% fertilizer free seed, but the one i picked is really really low concentration of fertilizer, and they told me it's natural fertilizer not any chemical compound. I still wanna double check if i can use grass from this seed to feed my sulcata. maybe you know about this xD

Attachments

• IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species and size/age are we talking about? Does the tortoise eat the dry hay? I think you need much more variety than that.

I would not feed any hardware store grass seed to a tortoise. Its all coated and infused with chemicals and stuff.

Here is the best grass seed on the market:
http://www.groworganic.com/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation.html
I've tried growing all sorts of other stuff side by side with this one, and nothing even comes close.

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Montreal
What species and size/age are we talking about? Does the tortoise eat the dry hay? I think you need much more variety than that.

I would not feed any hardware store grass seed to a tortoise. Its all coated and infused with chemicals and stuff.

Here is the best grass seed on the market:
http://www.groworganic.com/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation.html
I've tried growing all sorts of other stuff side by side with this one, and nothing even comes close.
spring mix and dry hay are main food for him, i also give her radicchio, squash, flowers, fruits occasionally.
also i searched up the link for the plant, it only ships within US... ayyy, i'm in canada lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
spring mix and dry hay are main food for him, i also give her radicchio, squash, flowers, fruits occasionally.
also i searched up the link for the plant, it only ships within US... ayyy, i'm in canada lol.

What species size and age? Do you see the tortoise actually eating the hay?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
he's 17-18cm, 2 and half years old. and i see him eating dry hay

I went to your profile to see that you have a sulcata…

I think you need more variety in your diet.

Just a guess, but I'll bet the occasional fruit might have something to do with the substrate eating too. Its not good for them and it upsets their stomach. I'd save the fruit for the RF.

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Montreal
I went to your profile to see that you have a sulcata…

I think you need more variety in your diet.

Just a guess, but I'll bet the occasional fruit might have something to do with the substrate eating too. Its not good for them and it upsets their stomach. I'd save the fruit for the RF.
you mean variety of different grass species?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm going to plant some grass seed for him, the seed i got from home-depot is shown in the attached pictures. they don't have 100% fertilizer free seed, but the one i picked is really really low concentration of fertilizer, and they told me it's natural fertilizer
Please excuse my political incorrectness here, but are there any "hippie" markets in your town? I ask because typically you can find all manner of organic seeds for "humans" to sprout and you often can grow these for your tortoise. From wheat berry seed to radish seed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California