Substrate for baby Sulcata

alexag

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello! I have compressed coconut substrate for my three month old Sulcata but it keeps drying up and I have to keep spraying it lightly to keep it moist. I know baby Sulcatas like to bury themselves deep in the substrate where it’s moist but my Sulcata doesn’t do that. Is it fine for the substrate to be dry on the top layer and moist underneath even if my tortoise isn’t burrowing?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can dump warm water in the enclosure to dampen the top.
If it's not a closed chamber, it will dry out quickly. If you are using a table enclose it with plastic, a portable pop up green house or some other means.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I have compressed coconut substrate for my three month old Sulcata but it keeps drying up and I have to keep spraying it lightly to keep it moist. I know baby Sulcatas like to bury themselves deep in the substrate where it’s moist but my Sulcata doesn’t do that. Is it fine for the substrate to be dry on the top layer and moist underneath even if my tortoise isn’t burrowing?
Spraying the surface does nothing. If your substrate is drying up, then you are using the wrong type of enclosure for a baby sulcata. If the substrate is drying up quickly, so is your baby's carapace. This will cause irreversible damage. Permanent pyramiding. You need to correct this problem ASAP. Every day that goes by is doing damage.

Dry on top and damp underneath is fine for orchid bark, but coco coir needs to be kept damp and firmly hand packed to keep the dust down and make it easier for them to walk on it.