Substrate for Indian Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosy Tortoises

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Substrate for Indian Stars- tying to find out what substrate do people use, how deep etc.

Thanks

mlocke4548

5 Year Member
I line the bottom with newspaper then in one corner I shred a bunch of newspaper and let them dig around in that. It is cheap and easy to clean. But if it sunny and not cold I put them outside in their pen that has natural grass and weeds.

Jack-'n'-Jill

5 Year Member
I have 2 Indian Star Hatchlings and i'm using Coconut Chips (Rainforest Substrate) with a layer of newspaper underneath - Whilst researching this species I read the importance of humidity to support healthy growth and shell development. I find this substrate holds the moisture well - this also helps prevent sticky eyes.

S

stells

Mine has a humid area and a dry area.. the humid area consists of topsoil covered with coconut bark.. the dry area consists of readigrass..

desperate dan

5 Year Member
Was using reptile and not too bad. Then changed to Tomothy hay and they seem to be more 'energised' ie they move faster and eating more !

Attachments

• Stars.jpg
    Stars.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 134

samstar

5 Year Member
desperate dan said:
Was using reptile and not too bad. Then changed to Tomothy hay and they seem to be more 'energised' ie they move faster and eating more !

Good to see you here, your Stars look good!

On another note, I use timothy hay as substrate

milky

5 Year Member
desperate dan said:
what have you been feeding with ?

J_Foster

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
desperate dan said:

Wow Dan. Your stars are gorgeous. Keep up the good work. I use timothy too (on top of mini bark) and mine love it. Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.