Substrate for my greek tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobieh

5 Year Member
I am trying to find what most people use for their greek tortoises. I need something dry since humidity can be damaging for them. I tried coconut fiber (eco earth) but it seamed to keep a lot of moisture. I have heard of aspen but want tpo hear what people think before going out and buying something unsuitable.
Thank you :tort:

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Just let the Eco earth dry out. It gets pretty dry. Also if it is a baby they do need moisture. If it's an adult it doesn't need as much bit still some.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
What subspecies or region is your Greek tortoise from and how big is it? Young Greeks from all regions actually do better with some moisture in their substrate and a bit higher ambient air humidity. Adults, dedpending upon what region their from, don't require quite a much substrate humidity.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
They very much need moisture, as long as they are kept warm. Warm and humid is good and a cool and dry spot is good for them to have a choice to regulate themselves.

The time to keep them dry is if they are in cold weather, or anything below about 60 degrees.
Cold and damp is where you can end up with problems.

I've gone through the list of combinations of substrates and humidity. I now keep all my babies on damp cypress mulch. Although I do provide a dry cool end in the enclosure for them, they are almost always buried under the heat lamp (MVB) in warm damp mulch, at least when they are not up eating. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.