Substrate for RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussTort

10 Year Member!
Hi!

I was going to use a 50/50 mix of topsoil and sand but I've been seeing some people, especially Tom, advice other users not to.

Can I use the sand? Or should I use only topsoil? Or mix with something else?

I just want to get it right. I'm not a big fan of constipated tortoises.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Although in the wild they would have sand, steppe sand is very different to normal play sand. Although some good organisations like the TT recommend it, it can cause impaction so I would just use plain soil.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
FLINTUS said:
Although in the wild they would have sand, steppe sand is very different to normal play sand. Although some good organisations like the TT recommend it, it can cause impaction so I would just use plain soil.

Will the pathogen is the soil infect our tortoises?

This is what I afraid the most to migrate from hay to soil. But I do agree sand might lead to impaction, hence better to avoid.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
I use topsoil and play sand but I never use 50/50 the sand always goes into their eyes but I only use it so it can change the texture and it helps me form little hills and bumps for the torts to climb over. :) so I actually use a ratio of 9:1 topsoil and playsand

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
My favorite substrate is pure coconut coir. It retains moisture and allows for digging, but resists pest infestation and does not promote gut impaction.

cally

5 Year Member
Hi russtort! Are u excited for your new russian? Lol so what i just did worked amazing for kale- i used organic top soil- and then a lot of peat and spag moss- before that i had the vita sand And wood chips- which i left some on the bottom because its good for soaking up their pee and well stool- and easy clumping to remove :) hope all goes well enjoy and have fun!

Cally- Russian Tort <3

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I like to place top soil on the lower layer and then add coco coir to the top (about 3" of each layer). I also put a few earthworms and roley poley bugs (Sow bugs might be the name) in the substrate to eat the dung and the left over food. Because ,while you can scoop and remove most of the dung and food scraps, you will never get it all. They can breakdown the little remains and keep your enclosure much cleaner. (Sorry for the lack of proper bug names)

RussTort

10 Year Member!
Hey cally! Truth is I've had him for nearly eight years, following the advice of pet store employees. Long story short he has been living in awful conditions all this time and now that I know better I want to make it perfect. But I'm not sure I'll be putting bugs in there.

Jd3

5 Year Member
Hybrid said:
FLINTUS said:

Will the pathogen is the soil infect our tortoises?

This is what I afraid the most to migrate from hay to soil. But I do agree sand might lead to impaction, hence better to avoid.

What pathogen do you think soil contains that isn't everywhere else?

These are animals that have evolved for a million years. Dirt isn't going to kill them.

Hay molds and grows far more pathogens than dirt. I've yet to hear of a wild tort population living on straw and cut hay.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Jd3 said:
What pathogen do you think soil contains that isn't everywhere else?

These are animals that have evolved for a million years. Dirt isn't going to kill them.

Hay molds and grows far more pathogens than dirt. I've yet to hear of a wild tort population living on straw and cut hay.

Soil makes a lot of sense outdoors, but indoors I don't think it does. Outdoors, it's part of a bigger system, and the small organisms in it get fed on by other critters. Indoors, these organisms can bloom out of control and become real pests. Whether they are actually pathogenic or merely irritating is as much a matter of which organisms, as how many of them there are.

If it's fungi, then can give both your tortoises and you skin or lung infections. If they are insects (which feed on the fungi), they can be annoying or yucky. Tortoises have evolved to live on soil for millions of years, and they do have mighty immune systems. However, like a lot of things about indoor setups, the substrate should mimic the natural environment without simply copying it, because indoors it might not work the same way.

RussTort

10 Year Member!
I've been looking at soil but no one is selling completely untouched soil. All the bags have some added nutritients such as Zink and Magnesium. Is that alright? Are there any specific chemicals that are often found in commercial soil that I should try to avoid?

I also saw this cocoa husk (as in chocolate). Does anyone know if that is something that I could use?

Jd3

5 Year Member
Plain topsoil rarely has other stuff in it. Are you sure you're not just seeing the analysis of the soil? Just about everything will give a breakdown of the nutrients in the soil.

But if it is amendment free that is just fine. I think what you are seeing is a bag of plain topsoil with the analysis on it and assuming that means they added that. Soil by itself contains the common nutrients needed for plants, topsoil usually just has the least and is lower quality growing medium. It usually has sand and clay at times too.

RussTort

10 Year Member!
Nobody is selling plain topsoil. It all has something added to (they specify that it is added). Usually it's just more of the chemicals that are in it. Just want to make sure that it is all safe, even though it's in a higher quantity.

RussTort

10 Year Member!
I went out and took photos of the added substances:

- Gravel lime (not sure if this is the correct translation.)
- Dolimitic lime (not sure with translation)
- Iron (Fe)
- Manganese (Mn)
- Copper (Cu)
- Zink (Zn)
- Molybdenum (Mo)
- Boron (B)
- Chalk

One of the bags was called "Dirt for plants," the other was "Dirt for roses". The bag for plants had less nitrate but more phosfor and calcium. Neither searching on Google nor here gave me satisfying results so I thought I'd ask. Better safe than sorry.

Jd3

5 Year Member
What you want is bags labeled "top soil". It is the cheapest you can get. Here it is currently about a buck per cubic foot or less.

Usually plain white bags with single color printing. Walmart, lowes, Home Depot, menards, and even grocery stores have it here.

Plain black fill dirt from excavation sites is fine usually too.

RussTort

10 Year Member!
Thank you for the help. Unfortinately I don't seem to be able to find it here in Copenhagen.

Doesn anyone know if I can use this cocoa coir?

Jd3

5 Year Member
I'm on mobile so missed your location. You can look for fill dirt too. Like from new construction sites.

I'm not too familiar with that product but I think I've heard of people using it.

RussTort

10 Year Member!
I found something very promising when searching for fill dirt. This place is very likely to have topsoil and I will go there first thing in the morning! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.