Substrate? I need how many bags?

GingerRaph

Location (City and/or State)
Tacoma, WA
8yo Cherry Head...

Given that indoor enclosures need to be a minimum 4x8 for many types of tortoise, and the minimum substrate depth is inches deep (4"+?) how do you all fill your tables? Most of the orchid bark I see is sold in quarts and by my calculations you would need about .4 CF of bark to cover the surface 4" deep. That's 18ish 8qt bags. Is that right? At $15 a bag. I am not opposed to spending what's needed for my little guy but I just wanted to know if there is a more economical way to go about this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
8yo Cherry Head...

Given that indoor enclosures need to be a minimum 4x8 for many types of tortoise, and the minimum substrate depth is inches deep (4"+?) how do you all fill your tables? Most of the orchid bark I see is sold in quarts and by my calculations you would need about .4 CF of bark to cover the surface 4" deep. That's 18ish 8qt bags. Is that right? At $15 a bag. I am not opposed to spending what's needed for my little guy but I just wanted to know if there is a more economical way to go about this.

FIrst, if you have to buy the pet store stuff, get it in the 24 quart bags.

Second, I'd go broke doing it that way. Find a local nursery and buy "fine grade fir bark" in bulk there. It takes two 2 cu.ft. bags to do a 4x8 enclosure. You could add a third bag if you want it extra thick for whatever reason. I get my bags of that size here for $12.Orchid Bark.JPG