Substrate ideas ... ?

Ladya

Just joined yesterday as I need help/advise looking after my nephew's Russian while he's on holiday. They currently use woodchips in his enclosure but watching him today I can't help noticing how awkward/uncomfortable he looks walking on it. Is there special tortoise ... sand(?) I can buy, or can I pick up some soil at the garden depot and use that? Does the sand have to be dry?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Most people don't recommend any sand. Some do mix it in with coco coir, but in general no sand. You can use peat moss, coco coir, potting soil with nothing in it. I don't have a Russian tortoise so hopefully some Russian owners will chime in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
No sand! That can kill them through impaction and it cna be a skin and eye irritant, even though you see it recommended over and over on old websites, and from people who have read those old websites. We know better now.

We all have our substrate preferences, but I would not want someone with good intentions changing my set up in my absence. May I suggest you consult with your nephew before making changes to his tortoises enclosure? He might have a good reason for doing it the way he has done it, or he might be receptive to improvements. Either way, it should be his choice.

Feel free to share this with him:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

annastortoise

I agree with Tom on the fact you should ask your nephew first, but if he gives the okay I would recommend topsoil and coco coir or just coir.

:p I <3 Russians :p

gustaf

5 Year Member
Hi Ladya. Welcome to the forum. I know you have the torts best interest at heart. The reason sand can cause impaction is because its to easy for the sand to stick to its food and then the tort ingests it, causing the impaction. Even if you put their food in a dish some of it usually still ends up being drug into the sand by the tortoise or the sand gets drug into the food by the tortoise.