Substrate Question

DimitriMom

Location (City and/or State)
Aloha, OR
I was told by my vet to not use Cypress mulch as bedding, then told to use 1/2 top soil and 1/2 Coir, then told to use Retisoil. I am confused. When I used 1/2 top soil and 1/2 coir it dried out almost immediately and there were large sticks in the top soil. What is the best way to make my Dimitri happy? (he is an approximately 6 year old Greek tortoise) and he lives indoors. Many thanks in advance.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Follow info on this forum. Most vets are wrong when it comes to tortoises.
All coir is fine but many don't like it because ita messy. Gets in their water a lot and sometimes in their food. However it holds moisture well, will not mold and will not cause impaction.
Orchid bark is the other top one too use and works as well without the mess.
You can combine the two if you want or use them alone.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Check the local garden centers as you may be able to find the bulk fine fir bark. Fir bark is absolutely the best- looks good and performs great. I am in the east coast and bulk fir bark does not exist so it’s cypress mulch with Reptibark ( fir bark) covering it to give the lowest cost.

DimitriMom

Aloha, OR
Follow info on this forum. Most vets are wrong when it comes to tortoises.
All coir is fine but many don't like it because ita messy. Gets in their water a lot and sometimes in their food. However it holds moisture well, will not mold and will not cause impaction.
Orchid bark is the other top one too use and works as well without the mess.
You can combine the two if you want or use them alone.
Many thanks. I have an enclosure that is 6' x 3' and i do not mind changing his water and food when it gets messy. I like the idea of orchid bark and coir and the coir will retain moisture. What is wrong with reptisoil? The reason I ask is that I have a bunch of it and was thinking about using it solely.

DimitriMom

Aloha, OR
Check the local garden centers as you may be able to find the bulk fine fir bark. Fir bark is absolutely the best- looks good and performs great. I am in the east coast and bulk fir bark does not exist so it’s cypress mulch with Reptibark ( fir bark) covering it to give the lowest cost.
Won't fir bark give him splinters?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was told by my vet to not use Cypress mulch as bedding, then told to use 1/2 top soil and 1/2 Coir, then told to use Retisoil. I am confused. When I used 1/2 top soil and 1/2 coir it dried out almost immediately and there were large sticks in the top soil. What is the best way to make my Dimitri happy? (he is an approximately 6 year old Greek tortoise) and he lives indoors. Many thanks in advance.
The substrate subject is explained in detail here. You can scroll to that paragraph if you don't want to read the rest: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/