Substrate Questions

Tsarina27

Hi, I have a two or three year old Russian named Tortomir. We've had him for about a month and a half now. When we got him, we had coconut coir as his bedding, but we had to change it out because our last little one was sick. We were keeping him on newspaper, just temporarily, for about a week. We didn't have any other bedding for him to be on. So we went to the pet store to buy some more coconut coir, that night they were sold out, so I came in the next day and they still didn't have any, even after they ordered it. So I asked for optional bedding suggestions, and they suggested cypress mulch. I thought it sounded good, and so far he seems to like it. I know it's debated a lot, about the different types of substrate. I've heard may different opinions on the best substrate, and what people suggest, but it's a lot to take in. My question is: Is it okay to use cypress mulch for him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Russians like to dig in. I'm not real familiar with th cypress mulch. I always use coir or dirt/leaf litter for my russian. If he likes it and he can dig into it and it can hold some moisture, adult russians need about 30% humidity

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Cypress mulch is great...one of my favorite kinds of substrate.

Tsarina27

Really? That's great to hear. Yeah, tortomir seems to like it. I've not had any problems with it yet. The only thing I got concerned with was he tried to eat a piece of it like twice. But he's usually pretty good about leaving it alone. I'll tell him to leave the chips alone, and he just moves on and eats his lettuce.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
They're like toddlers and try everything new. Get a digital thermometer that reads temp and humidity. I really like the Accurite ones. Wal-Mart or home depot carry them. They are cheap and tough. I have a couple in every enclosure.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
I use the bark too. We went through an eating phase, and I was a bit worried sharp bits might hurt his insides. Since he is indoors and on a grocery store diet for the time being @Tom recommended adding mazuri or zoomed grassland tortoise diet for some more fibre and nutrition. That helped stop the bark eating.