Substrate Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin, USA
I just posted about finding bugs in my cage. I went to buy some compressed coconut from Petco to replace the soil I removed and I was informed Zoo Med has pulled its stock. Apparently it wasn't heat treated properly. There were several other kinds of lose bark missing as well.

I looked on Zoo Med and Petco's websites and can't find any information, but I called the store again just to double check and the lady there confirmed it again. You may want to look into this if you have bought substrate recently.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shaun:

Thanks for the heads up!

I guess that answers your question about jumping bugs!

Buzz

5 Year Member
Wisconsin, USA
I'm not sure freezing will kill everything. It may kill some but many bugs and eggs can simply go dormant in freezing weather.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
With all substrates...be it gravel (which I don't use anymore), coir or bark...I boil everything prior to use! NEVER seen a bug (or mold for that matter) in any of my holdings.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi., had a problem a couple weeks ago. same product. seen little dirt like bugs, it freaked me out, so, i got more, and change it. i thought the over head lite brought some creepys. thanks for posting it. i will be starting at the tank now!'lol'

Status
Not open for further replies.