Substrate too wet

BobbyJ

I have a fogger running in. My torts enclosure and after being on for the past few weeks one noticed it made the cypress mulch on top pretty wet ... Any suggestions on how wet to keep the substeate . I know it shouldn't be soaked ,, but is moist okay ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RF are prone to shell rot. You want the humidity high, but the top layer of aubstrate dry. Have fogger on less time a day or forget the fogger and pour warm water into them ornery when humidity drops or under layers looks dry.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, i have my fogger on a timer, so it comes on in early morning for a bit and gets things nice and humid, then turns off, giving the enclosure time to absorb and dry up throughout the day. So try a timer!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I don't have mine on a timer but I leave it off for part of the day and stir the substrate up

wolfkat

I ran into the same problem you have a few months back and moist is NOT okay. Viva developed some shell rot but I caught it early enough to treat without further damage to her shell.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Hi BobbyJ,
It could also depend on the hose placement. When I first started using my ReptiFogger, I had the hose extended right to the substrate. It had a neat-looking effect, but the substrate was definitely too wet. Now that I have the hose closer to the top of the enclosure, it only gets wet in one area directly below. Everything else is dry but the humidity is at 70%-80% depending on when the timer went off.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The solution is to build a large closed chamber and stop relying on all the wet substrate and foggers to try to generate enough humidity. My closed chambers have 80+% humidty with substrate that is dry on top.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I have a fogger running in. My torts enclosure and after being on for the past few weeks one noticed it made the cypress mulch on top pretty wet ... Any suggestions on how wet to keep the substeate . I know it shouldn't be soaked ,, but is moist okay ?

Moist is okay. You don't want it sopping wet, but bone-dry isn't okay either. Either way, a closed-chamber is a much better solution then just running a fogger/mister constantly.

BobbyJ

Yup I'm going to cover it . I'll be able to cover it probably about 50 -75%

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i'm with tom closed chamber all the way. i hold a steady 80-90% humidity with steady temps in the mid 80s

if you need any help or idea's ask away

BobbyJ

How would I build the closed chamber ? I have a 90 gallon aquarium that I'm keeping him in for now .. I plan on getting the ceramic heat emitter and a thermostat too . But he's doing just fine with heat bulbs right now .. How would I build the top for the tank ? Thanks!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
How would I build the closed chamber ? I have a 90 gallon aquarium that I'm keeping him in for now .. I plan on getting the ceramic heat emitter and a thermostat too . But he's doing just fine with heat bulbs right now .. How would I build the top for the tank ? Thanks!

0210151645.jpg

this is my closed chamber it's pretty much a greenhouse i got off amazon then made a raised garden bed to the dimensions of the greenhouse exactly then zip tied the pvc frame to the garden bed works good hold heat and humidity nicely

greenhouse was like 48 dollars with free shipping i had the wood laying around for the bottom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i can cover the tank about 70 percent will that help

A little, but not much. Your heat bulbs in the open area create a chimney effect that makes the warm humid air rises up and out and cold dry room air takes its place.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Let me try to get some pictures up of mine. 18" 5.0 tube mounted inside and vented with my air bubbler. It also has a 15 watt rope heater tape attached to the underside with tape.
No fogger and no other heat source required.
Daytime heat about 84. Night time low 77. Humidity 75%-90%

Attachments

• image_74.png
    image_74.png
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • image_73.png
    image_73.png
    851.4 KB · Views: 18
  • image_68.png
    image_68.png
    787.5 KB · Views: 18
  • image_22.png
    image_22.png
    960 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I pour water into the corners and the substrate does the rest. There is a layer of orchid bark on the bottom and another layer of potting soil on top. The soil remains dry.
The top is a plexiglass sheet with a hinge made of duct tape and I prop it open a little bit depending on the temps and moisture inside. (To regulate it) It is also vented over the light fixture so that the light wont overheat.