Cherry head substrate

cheesy77777

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Once again I have another question.... I use cypress mulch substrate for my cherryhead and have not had a problem with it except for one thing. I use a reptifogger to keep up humidity but when I do, a part of the substrate gets very damp. I feel like if I leave the fogger on for too long it might get completely soaked. Will it get completely soaked and if so, is there a better substrate I could use that could handle the fogger better?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Once again I have another question.... I use cypress mulch substrate for my cherryhead and have not had a problem with it except for one thing. I use a reptifogger to keep up humidity but when I do, a part of the substrate gets very damp. I feel like if I leave the fogger on for too long it might get completely soaked. Will it get completely soaked and if so, is there a better substrate I could use that could handle the fogger better?
Is it a closed or open system enclosure?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It is a zoo med tortoise house. I have wax paper on the wiring to keep in humidity so it is mostly closed.
Try plastic sheeting, like a shower curtain or garbage bag to seal your enclosure. You should be able to pour water directly into the substrate and mix it up to keep up the humidity. I've never had the need for a fogger.

Sully06012018

Ocklawaha, FL
I have a repti fogger for my chameleon and I put it on a timer so it runs off and on every 2 hours during the day and off all night.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
If you keep forever adding water to a closed system it will eventually become sodden and maybe stagnant in the lower levels of the substrate. I’d use 3” of coir with 1” mix of orchid bark and cypress mulch. Put you fogger on 3 times a day for 5 minutes and see how that goes. You need to give it time to dry out on the surface between fogging.