1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Substrate!?!

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosure Substrate' started by lixxy990, Dec 17, 2017.

1. lixxy990

lixxy990 Member

So I have had my Hermann tortoise for just under a year and he’s getting on very well! His name is Collin and is very very tame! Whenever I go see him in his table he comes to me! I’m so happy to have my first ever tortoise HOWEVER, I use play sand as his substrate and I do not mist..... lots of people have commented that I need to mist and that I should be using soil?..... opinions would be amazing! Xxx
  2. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Wow, can't believe you have been a member over a year and have not read about how bad sand can be. It can cause impaction. Yes, remove the sand use dirt, peat moss or coconut coir or orchard bark. Also, some humidity is needed. Great caresheet under the Hermanns section, read that.
    TechnoCheese likes this.
  3. lixxy990

lixxy990 Member

I know over a year! Crazy however I only just got this app back again when it came to my attention, where I got my tortoise I was told to only use sand, so do I just use garden soil and am I supposed to be misting, good old Collin is ok so the sand can’t be awful surely?
  4. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Kent, South East England
    Cowboy_Ken likes this.
  5. lixxy990

lixxy990 Member

Yes well the links weren’t opening for me which was odd.... however I was told sand was an ok substrate and was told to keep it that way, but ok ... xx
  6. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    The sand is and can be awful. Your only not seeing signs cuz he hasn't eaten enough of it yet, that we know of.
    Any dirt that is chemical free will work. Yes, spray the substrate and to get some humidity in his enclosure and you can spray him too, using warm water.
    Cowboy_Ken likes this.
  7. lixxy990

lixxy990 Member

Perfect thank you I have now read to see it’s bad however did not see what to replace it with so assuming I can just use garden soil which should be better! Xx
    Cowboy_Ken and wellington like this.
  8. lixxy990

lixxy990 Member

My tortoise is still young and has only been to the vets once they sent us home and say wait for him to grow then we will micro chip him,
    Cowboy_Ken likes this.
  9. Tidgy's Dad

Tidgy's Dad Well-Known Member

Fes, Morocco
    You need to use fine grade orchid bark from a garden centre, or coco coir or orchid bark.
    It's much better for moisture retention and safety than garden soil that may have stones, sand, plant remains that may be harmful, etc.
    But it's better than the sand for now if you're fairly sure it's chemical free.
    Cowboy_Ken likes this.
  10. TestudinesSG

TestudinesSG New Member

I mix dirt and coconut core. Seems to hold up pretty well and my Hermanns loves to bury himself.
    Cowboy_Ken likes this.
  11. Cowboy_Ken

Cowboy_Ken Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
    Hey buddy. Damn I’m sorry you got such horrible misinformation when you originally got Collin. Yes the sand is terrible for your tortoise. I use a 50/50 mix of organic “top soil” and organic peat moss. It’s important to me not to use compost that is sold because often times it contains things you wouldn’t find in the wild. I don’t want my leopard tortoise to grow up in the barn yard surroundings of horse and cow manure. So I make sure to read the top soil label to make sure it’s clean as well.
    Was the microchip idea yours or the vets? If it was your idea, I say good job with thinking of that. It wasn’t until fairly recently that I realized it would have been in my favor to have done so when some of my tortoises were stolen from me while I was in a Health Rehabilition Center after a “fun” car accident I was in. IMG_1761.jpg IMG_1677.jpg IMG_1738.jpg sorry. It’s late.
  12. Cheryl Hills

Cheryl Hills Well-Known Member

Youngstown, Ohio
    Wow, that was a nasty one. Hope you are doing better!
  13. Cowboy_Ken

Cowboy_Ken Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
    I miss my truck…
    Cheryl Hills likes this.