Tortoise table

zeus_the_tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
peterlee co durham uk
Hi there so my boyfriend has built a new tortoise table for Zeus or little Russian as he old one wasn't very big in the last table we used tortoise life substrate but found it to dry so in his new one we used a mixture of play sand and un fertilized top soil instead it's a lot more Moist but seems to be sticking to his legs and when his digging it sticks to his little face and he rubs his eyes he's only been in if since last night and his eyes don't seem irritated will he be ok or do we need to mix ether more sand or topsoil in so make it less sticky?

Killerrookie

Hello Zeus! I recommend taking the sand out because it's known to hurt or even be fatal to tortoises. I really see no problem with the substrate sticking to your tortoises because mine get it all the time especially my Red Foot!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433421173.740727.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433421190.196235.jpg
Here is a picture of Luie and he has substrate all over him but it usually comes off when you give them a nice relaxing soak!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My favorite substrate for adult Russians is coco fiber husk. Orchid bark is also great. Just use the small bark. Sand is sticky and doesn't hold the moisture well. The top soil will get moldy and icky. Coco coir is great dirt, if he is still small. It holds moisture really well and does not mold. Sand is an impactation risk, if ingested.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You may need to remove most of it. Add coconut coir. I find that the combo works great.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Hello Zeus! I recommend taking the sand out because it's known to hurt or even be fatal to tortoises. I really see no problem with the substrate sticking to your tortoises because mine get it all the time especially my Red Foot!
View attachment 132601
View attachment 132602
Here is a picture of Luie and he has substrate all over him but it usually comes off when you give them a nice relaxing soak!
That tortoise is so Adorable!!

zeus_the_tortoise

peterlee co durham uk
Thanks guys I'm just a bit confused now with the sand because most of the stuff I read recomended sand and top soil with no mention of it being harmful I've never seen any of the other suggestions in my local pet shop or garden centre I live in the UK maybe it has a diffent name or something but thanks luie is adorable! :) this is Zeus

Attachments

• IMAG0320.jpg
    IMAG0320.jpg
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 40

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sand is fine. Just make sure you use a big dish for his food so he doesn't eat too much of it.

Sorry, but I don't agree. I've seen several radiographs of tortoises with sand impaction. When keeping tortoises in indoor habitats, there are other, better substrates to use rather than sand...orchid bark, cypress mulch, coco coir or even dirt from the back yard.

If you still want to mix sand in with other substrates, feed your tortoise on a piece of broken cement, a tile or a dish and make sure he's very well-hydrated.

mlummus

Sorry to jump topics sorta but what about grass or sod in an enclosure? I'm looking at doing a section of grass in my torts enclosure and I'm not entirely sure what to get

Manish MAthew

INDIA
Hey @Yvonne G
I want to ask that I use only Coco coir for the substrate.. Should I use any mixture or keep it as it is..??
Because my tortoise also rubs his eyes a lot of time.