substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
At the moment we are using reptibark for our substrate, and from what I have gathered from the net, and using the horrible search engine on the forum, I am a bad bad man, lol. I see so many recommendations, like calcium sand, Coconut husk, sphagnum peat moss, topsoil, and mixes that include some of the above.

Here is my question, rather than throw out the reptibark, can I use that mixed with sand as the sub-substrate and use peat and/or coconut fiber as the substrate? I am thinking that this will give him a more natural base when he digs under the substrate. I can then phase out the reptibark as the tank is cleaned. Thoughts please

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Listen up, Meanie: What you should have been reading about sand is that it is NOT what you want to use as a substrate. Now, if you want to use it as a mixture with something else, like coconut coir, its ok, but by itself, no. Sand is easily ingested as it sticks to the food, then it piles up in the gut and causes impaction. I don't use any sand at all...not in a mixture and certainly NOT by itself.

I think you can probably keep the repti-bark. If you want to mix something with it, cypress mulch or coco-coir might be good choices. If I'm not mistaken, Repti-Bark is actually made from fir bark. I like orchid bark the best, and it is also made from fir bark.

Russian tortoises are diggers, so you really want a substrate that allows him to bury himself. Deep enough and loose enough that he can dig in it.

Some folks who like to mix sand with their coco coir say that if you keep the tortoise well hydrated the sand passes through and doesn't build up in his system. I don't like to take the chance. You can sit a tortoise in water, but you can't make him drink!

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
What...? Oh sorry, i was poking my tort with a pointy stick (just kidding). Okay, no sand. What about sterilized [organic] composts as a base for the sub? Also (as an aside), is there a way to tell the age of my tort? He is an adult for sure... OMG "tort", "sub"... I am already starting to talk like you guys...0.o

Oh, and you are correct about the reptibark being fir. I checked as quick as I could as soon as I found out that you can't use pine. I just don't want him to get splayed leg syndrome (or whatever it is called).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Meanie:

I'm thinking that you want to mix the compost with the Repti-bark? I think that would be ok.

If you post a picture we can give you a pretty good guess at the age of your russian tortoise.

MaggieL

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
If you post a picture we can give you a pretty good guess at the age of your russian tortoise.

How do you age an adult Russian?? Interested.... Not to intrude on the questioning :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its no where near an exact science, but you can give a ball park figure by the size and shape of the tortoise.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Meanie:

I'm thinking that you want to mix the compost with the Repti-bark? I think that would be ok.

There is one in this thread. If you need more detailed pics let me know what you need.

Microtrumpet said:
i use a mixture of cypress bedding coco husk and New Jersey Top Soil. Hope that helps :)

New Jersey Top Soil?!? I would prefer not to put anything toxic into his pen! 0.o

just kidding :D

I will see what they have at Petsmart. If I am lucky, maybe I can use pet perk awards... JOY! :D :D

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
I used repti bark for a while and developed a problem with mites....repti bark is kinda infamous for pests

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I use coco coir and cypress bedding. it works pretty well.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I don't know much about Russians, but he looks small. Or do you have huge hands? Do they stay small? He is a pretty little tort.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
Sadly, I do not have large hands. I think they stay fairly small but, I am not sure how big they get. He is a healthy active little guy, curious as all get out and just fascinated by us big guys. I have to assume he was CB by the way he acts.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Usually the only way to tell if it's CB is if it was born and raised in captivity. Adult russians are usually all WC. Any russian from a store that is above 4.5" is usually WC, though there are true CB adults out there.

Regarding substrate, I think a 50/50 mix of topsoil and sand would be best (topsoil shouldn't contain any white balls or such). If yours is a youngster, try using cypress mulch for added humidity. Just don't keep the substrate too damp.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
He was adopted, and I am not sure how old he was when he was adopted before us. I say CB only because he is laid back around people, responds well to my voice (comes when I talk to him), enjoys taking food from our hands. Everything I read said that likely indicates he was captive bred, and wild bred are usually not very sociable. I am not an expert by any means, though so I could be way off. I went with a mix of organic compost, coconut fiber, and cyprus bark. He is very happy with this and enjoys digging. He is not at all bothered by the glass enclosure, and actually likes watching us through it. He is fascinated by my 6 year old daughter as long as she is not trying to pick him up.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
On the subject of CB vs WC based on attitude, Russians are very adaptable, out-going tortoises. It isn't unheard of (in fact, it's quite common!) for a wild-caught Russian to become so accustomed to captivity that it's downright affectionate (at least, as affectionate as a reptile can be). As an example, one of the Russians I used to keep was WC... And he was easily more laid back and social around people than my other, who was even CB! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.