Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do not use pellets of any kind. The best in my opinion is coconut coir. Holds in moisture really good and won't mold. Stick to info you read on TFO, most pet stores are still doing things the old wrong way.

Ahernandez1990

5 Year Member
Cypress, CA
wellington said:
Do not use pellets of any kind. The best in my opinion is coconut coir. Holds in moisture really good and won't mold. Stick to info you read on TFO, most pet stores are still doing things the old wrong way.

Thats what I figured I havent bought any substrate yet I was going to go with the coconut coir and cypress mulch because from the reading I have done they do require some humidity if I am correct im in the process of getting everything ready for the lil guy

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Good call questioning the use of pellets! I use coconut fiber, pretty much the same thing as listed. As long as the substrate will hold in moisture and not irritate the tort you'll be golden!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Peat moss and cypress mulch are better options than alfalfa pellets.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What you are being told is the old way of housing baby leopards and sulcatas. It is incorrectly assumed that they need dry, desert conditions, and that humidity will harm them. This old info is DEAD wrong and its the reason why a lot of them get dehydrated, pyramid, and sometimes die.

Ask them to show you adult leopards that were raised that way. Then take some time to look at the leopards raised here on the forum with high humidity, warmth and good hydration. Night and day, I tell ya'.

There are two giant threads on this, btw. A couple of decent care sheets too.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
That info should be old and outdated.
You want a substrate that holds in humidity and is safe in ingested.
Cypresss mulch or coco fiber is great :)

Ahernandez1990

5 Year Member
Cypress, CA
I got coconut fiber last night and will get cypress mulch this week I am just waiting on a phone call letting me know I can pick the little guy/girl up

Status
Not open for further replies.