succulens with tortoises?

awesomecs

5 Year Member
DSCN0170.JPG here's my tortoise tory I was wondering what kind of succulents she can eat she only eats processed greens with aren't good for her and she wont eat fresh stuff unless its greens help help help

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Russian tortoises are browsers. They eat leafy greens and broad-leaf plants and weeds. There's a whole list of things to feed your Russian tortoises on the care sheet that you'll find pinned at the top of the Russian section.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
thanks dude I pretty new to tortoises I mean I just got her last year but I was doing my research for 2 years and I tried flowers and fresh lettuce but she wouldn't eat it so I tried store bought lettuce it worked but the I tried weeds she dint like it that much unless I too her outside then that's when I noticed she was doing alright eating grasses and weeds but when I brought her food inside she wouldn't eat I'm guessing she's wild caught? or they only fed her lettuce at the evil PETSMART I told my parents not to get her from it but it was the only place that carried Russians and they kept her in the worst glass cage it was only 10 gallons and it had glass witch was see through and could get hurt and plus I have lots of succulents did you tink she wuld like any of them please respond thanks yu

Alaskamike

South Florida
There may be several succulents tortoises can eat.
But the one I use is Spineless Opuntia.
It goes here in Florida - actually all through the Southern States.
There used to be people selling the pads on EBay. Maybe still are. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441039997.931786.jpg

awesomecs

5 Year Member
There may be several succulents tortoises can eat.
But the one I use is Spineless Opuntia.
It goes here in Florida - actually all through the Southern States.
There used to be people selling the pads on EBay. Maybe still are. View attachment 146187
hey I have that kind but its not spineless and there are smaller pads I think that it is a different variety but thanks guys you are the best at tortoise forums oh and my tortoise just ate jade leafs today =] thanks for all the help tortoise forums I appreciate it

Alaskamike

South Florida
All you have to do is scrape off the spines with that variety. Same cactus - optunia

awesomecs

5 Year Member
oh well thanks but ae all prickly pears safe I know some grow fruit and some are huge here's a picture

DSCN0216.JPG

is this the same one? btw thanks you guys are the best oh and can they eat dwarf jade thanks