Succulent, I'd?

jeneliza

Location (City and/or State)
burton michigan
I got these from my daughter, my question, what are they, they don't say the plant name on the tags only mini succulent, and are they safe to feed to my redfoot, I know I will need to plant them in new organic soil, and there really to small right now so , after they grow for a while, and get bigger can I pinch off a a leaf, and feed it or are they toxic, not knowing what kinda they are I can't research if there a safe option or not, thanks in advance,

15874784771688160511262062714035.jpg15874785236742185274275913204246.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
First one looks like Jade, the second Hens n Chicks. (Pix arent displaying right for me)

You need to be careful with plants with unknown origins (care/fertilizers/etc). Both are edible....but why ruin nice succulents!

• Common Name: Jade Plant (Friendship Tree, Money Plant, Money Tree, Crassula Ovata)
  • Latin Name: Crassula ovata; Crassula argentea; Crassula portulacea
  • Family Name: Crassulaceae
These Crassulas are classed by some sources as being mildly toxic, contain oxalic acid and, like most succulents, can cause diarrhoea if eaten in excess. Many tortoises don't bother with them, but feeding small amounts will do no harm.

Several varieties of Crassula ovata, like the 'Gollum' and 'Hobbit' have some leaves that curve inward and fuse into a tube shape.

• Common Name: Echeveria (Hens and Chicks)
  • Latin Name: Echeveria spp.
Echeveria leaves and flowers are fine for tortoises to eat, but as with all succulents it should be fed in moderation, as over indulging can result in diarrhoea. Also, if you have recently bought the plant it is wise to re-pot it and only feed new leaf growth in case the plant has been treated with insecticides and fertilisers. Do not confuse with Sempervivum, which is also called Hens and Chicks, and which is also safe to feed to your tortoise or turtle.

jeneliza

burton michigan
First one looks like Jade, the second Hens n Chicks. (Pix arent displaying right for me)

You need to be careful with plants with unknown origins (care/fertilizers/etc). Both are edible....but why ruin nice succulents!
I was thinking of , feeding a few leafs at a time, after these grow, and I know that the toxicity has grown out, I have no choice but to grow my own, from plants, because here in Michigan, they don't grow naturally, I call a local Meijer , and asked for dragon fruit, and aloe, was told yes they have it, this one was father away then two close to me, one in my town, and one is about 4 miles away in the next town, neither had any, so I called the one next closest, about 20 minutes away, and got there after calling, they didn't have any, ugh! So this is common here, so I am growing my own, this is why my daughter got these for me, but I want to make sure they where safe , before I changed the soil etc, or if not safe , I would just leave it, for a nice house plants

jeneliza

burton michigan

• Common Name: Jade Plant (Friendship Tree, Money Plant, Money Tree, Crassula Ovata)
  • Latin Name: Crassula ovata; Crassula argentea; Crassula portulacea
These Crassulas are classed by some sources as being mildly toxic, contain oxalic acid and, like most succulents, can cause diarrhoea if eaten in excess. Many tortoises don't bother with them, but feeding small amounts will do no harm.

Several varieties of Crassula ovata, like the 'Gollum' and 'Hobbit' have some leaves that curve inward and fuse into a tube shape.

• Common Name: Echeveria (Hens and Chicks)
  • Latin Name: Echeveria spp.
Echeveria leaves and flowers are fine for tortoises to eat, but as with all succulents it should be fed in moderation, as over indulging can result in diarrhoea. Also, if you have recently bought the plant it is wise to re-pot it and only feed new leaf growth in case the plant has been treated with insecticides and fertilisers. Do not confuse with Sempervivum, which is also called Hens and Chicks, and which is also safe to feed to your tortoise or turtle.
I could never put the whole plant in, she's eat it till it's was gone, even if it was large, lol, she pull whole dandlons out of the ground, root and all, I have black clay, which is really hard, and weeds root really well, still she pulls them out, from the root down, so I am sure she would over eat any plants, if I put the whole thing in, I was thinking of using as a little added treat for her

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I could never put the whole plant in, she's eat it till it's was gone, even if it was large, lol, she pull whole dandlons out of the ground, root and all, I have black clay, which is really hard, and weeds root really well, still she pulls them out, from the root down, so I am sure she would over eat any plants, if I put the whole thing in, I was thinking of using as a little added treat for her

Great!