Such a thing as too much soaking/bathing?

JLM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola Florida
so Ruby has been here for 3 weeks now and she's doing great! Eating what I provide and scavenging around the enclosure. She's very active. I've been soaking her for about 20 minutes each night for several reasons

#1 quality time- we chat about life and how we spent our day
#2 to ensure she's drinking if she wants. I never see her in her water saucer
#3 to make sure she's going
#4 to pick up said Easily and not worry about it in the enclosure

Is this bad? Should I cut down soaks? Are there concerns about this?

I was gone for 3 days this weekend and my husband was "in charge" he didn't soak her and I found In the enclosure so she can go without it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If a tortoise was left in water 24/7, it would be too much. I refer to the most extreme example I've seen and that is my friend @DeanS . He would soak/sun his babies in an outdoor kiddie pool for 5-6 hours a day sometimes. They would just motor around in the shallow water in his hot dry climate. His babies thrived, showed amazing smooth growth, and they grew up super healthy.

So daily soaks of 20 minutes is not too much in any way. I soak my hatchling sulcatas and leopards for 30-60 minutes daily and they all thrive too.

Now are you sure Ruby is a female? Because if Ruby is a male you might be close to boring him to death chatting about your day with him. :p