Suggestions for cleaniness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hi there, I haven't been on in ages!! But I had gotten so much info here and great ideas. I finally finally got to have my husband help me build a tort table. We just finished it and it still needs some fine tuning, but ahhhh, it is so much better than the two big plastic pools in our dining room. BUT I just need some suggestions about getting more than a half day of clean water. The top is for my red foots, thay have peat, dirt and potting soil for a substrate, spagnum moist in the hide. I jave a few flat rocks near the food area, and it just is horrible. I posted a couple pics, hope it works. This is from just yesterday.
Any ideas???
The tables are not finished, I have some safe plants to put in and think I want to sucure the hide to a side, sometimes they end up under the lights. The leopard on the bottom table will get some substrate besides hay. They just got moved last night, I was so excited. The bottom table is on wheels so I can pull it out.
Any other suggestions are gladly welcomed.
ALSO ALSO, I forgot, any one else have cats that think they should pee in the turtle pen?????
Thanks Nay

Attachments

• dirty tort dishes.jpg
    dirty tort dishes.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 70
  • tort enclosure.jpg
    tort enclosure.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 67

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
M y suggestion would be to move the food dis to opposite end of enclosure from water dish. They will still kick substrat in dish but it will stay cleaner through the day. As far as cats, mine feel that the enclosures make fine litter pans, therefore I have screen (chicken wire) tops on all.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Screen keeps cats out but also filters the good light needed to be healthy. so be careful how much you cover or put your lights under the screen.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
This is why I say chicken wire. Also with redfoots being forest torts light intensity can be lesser than with a grassland or arid specie.

Status
Not open for further replies.