Suitable 2nd tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I already have a Hermann's. Any tort would have to tolerate Louisiana heat and humidity AND stay small enough to winter indoors in a tortoise enclosure. It's illegal to buy/trade/barter etc boxies here. I've considered a redfoot. Other suggestions?

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
So what wrong with red foot if you already have a thought? I don't know the weather there in Louisiana, but if you think you can handle their needs them why not go for it?

Personally I will go for another Mediterranean tortoise. I used to have both species, although RF is more colorful, but I like Mediterranean tort personality more. It always cheer me up because marginated always very fast to approach me compare to the shy red foot.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Why not a second Hermann's? Maybe get some breeding going on.

If I get a second tortoise it would be another leopard for that reason. Or at least the possibility of it. I think it would be amazing to see the whole process.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would just keep in mind that pairs are a hard thing to achieve harmony...if you are getting a second tort to set up in its own enclosure and not to mix species, then you essentially have a large species pull to select from....:D

Since where you live is very humid and warm then you have perfect weather for most of the year...:D

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
ascott said:
I would just keep in mind that pairs are a hard thing to achieve harmony...if you are getting a second tort to set up in its own enclosure and not to mix species, then you essentially have a large species pull to select from....:D

Since where you live is very humid and warm then you have perfect weather for most of the year...:D

Sorry I did not make it clear that I have NO INTENTION of housing them together- I know torts are happily solitary. I'm just thinking of one that has similar environmental needs so A) they can be outside most of the year and B) we're not having to adjust DIFFERENT humidity and heat levels for 2 torts inside during the winter.

I guess I was thinking of something other than a Hermann's because Elsa is so shy: she avoids us if she can, and will stop eating to go hide behind a plant if she sees us watching her. Of course, I've had her exactly ONE MONTH as of today, she's a little more than half grown (4.5 inches) and was previously raised with other torts and probably casual contact from human keepers. So she might warm up to us a bit- or she might not! Geez- I've had my first tort ONE month and I'm already thinking of getting more!!!! :p

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Moozilion said:
ascott said:

Sorry I did not make it clear that I have NO INTENTION of housing them together- I know torts are happily solitary. I'm just thinking of one that has similar environmental needs so A) they can be outside most of the year and B) we're not having to adjust DIFFERENT humidity and heat levels for 2 torts inside during the winter.

I guess I was thinking of something other than a Hermann's because Elsa is so shy: she avoids us if she can, and will stop eating to go hide behind a plant if she sees us watching her. Of course, I've had her exactly ONE MONTH as of today, she's a little more than half grown (4.5 inches) and was previously raised with other torts and probably casual contact from human keepers. So she might warm up to us a bit- or she might not! Geez- I've had my first tort ONE month and I'm already thinking of getting more!!!! :p

Give Elsa time...never seen a Hermann's that didn't become fearless/friendly, given enough time.

My shyest, Apollonia, took about a year, but she's now nearly as fearless as the other 3.

As for a 2nd tortoise, here's another vote for a redfoot...your climate should be pretty close to perfect, and while larger than the Med. species, is still not terribly large (at most, maybe 16", although there is at least one of 24" in captivity...presumably VERY old). Omnivorous and love fruit. The only one I've ever spent time with was kinda shy w/ me, but much friendlier w/ her mistress.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks for the sage advice, Terry! It's SO HARD to be patient! I guess our first torts are our biggest learning experience when we've only had the fuzzy, warm- blooded type of pet before!

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
As far as a redfoot goes, you won't be disappointed with their personality. They are outgoing and can be quite the clowns. I'm not too familiar with the Mediterranean species, but you might run into issues when the INDOOR time comes if you need to keep the temp and humidity the same for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.