Sulcarta Tortoise baby hatched

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to the forum. Those babies are adorable!I will be getting a female sulcata soon. I already have a male. Part of me would like to try for some babies. But I would have no clue what to do with them. I wouldn't want to just give them away. To people who would not care for them correctly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Where in CA are you? Did they ground hatch or did you incubate them?

They need to be in a brooder box set up and kept warm and humid until their umbilical scars close up. If the umbilical scars are already closed up, then they need to be in a warm humid closed chamber with the proper heating and lighting. They will not survive long in a dry cardboard box with no heat or light. They need to be soaked immediately. Keep the soak water warm for the entire time.

Here is what to do with them:

Most of the care info found online is all wrong. Here is the correct care info:

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
WELCOME!
PLEASE Read the threads Tom posted above. If kept to dry you are just setting them up for suffering and death. It is a VERY common mistake to start them to dry (just like in your picture) which dehydrates them causing serious kidney issues. I am NOT telling you this to put you down or bash you just saying it for the health and comfort of those beautiful babies. Death sucks and there is no reason or excuse for it, especially in babies. My Family has devoted our lives to housing and caring for animals that have suffered, to look into the eyes of a Tort that has suffered kidney/hydration issues unnecessarily is not a pleasant experience.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

I'm glad you've found us. Your babies will thrive if you read the links given you and set them up in a moist, warm environment.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats but OMG get them set up correctly ASAP. Egg carton and cardboard box are not good at all.