First tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlywelch

5 Year Member
Hi every one thought I would introduce my self my name is Carly live in the uk this is mine and partner first tortoise we have a male sulcarta named aero we are both use 2 keeping snake so is very new 2 the both of us his a lovely little thing we hopefully be looking in 2 getting a female sulcarta ImageUploadedByTortForum1373587527.570847.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Your sully is too young to know the sex of it. However, s/he is cute. Please read Toms threads below in my post for the proper raising of a sulcata.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Hello Carly and welcome, please read Tom's threads above then think long and hard about getting another sulcata!

carlywelch

5 Year Member
Well the people in the shop told us it was a male n are very very good friends of ours so wud not understand y they wud tell us it was a male if its 2 early 2 tell

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Maybe they were mis-informed themselves. :/

Welcome to the tortoise-world and to TFO! I second or third (whatever number we're on now, lol) reading and following Tom's humid method for raising sulcatas -- you want a healthy little tyke!

carlywelch

5 Year Member
Mayb they breed them themselfs who I got him/she from ok will b sure to read it I got a book coming hopefully Monday to help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I mean no disrespect to your friends, but the sad truth is that most pet stores have the old out dated wrong info, and much of the stuff they sell for tortoise is either inappropriate or dangerous in some cases, like those ramped water bowls or coil type florecsent UV bulbs.

Sulcatas can be incubated at lower temps within their acceptable range to encourage more males, or at the higher end to encourage more females. This is no guarantee, and people often end up with the opposite of what they thought they had. Usually by 3-4 years old, you can tell what you've got.

Next item that you need to be aware of is that the book you are getting is likely wrong too. For about the last two decades, as long as sulcatas have been widely available, all the "experts", vets, book authors, and breeders, have been working on some incorrect assumptions about what sulcatas need. They recommend keeping them dry and limiting food and water. This is all wrong. Sulcatas hatch during the start of the rainy season in the wild. Its hot, wet, humid, marshy, and there is abundant food everywhere. In captivity we need to simulate the hot, humid African rainy season for the first few months at least, NOT a desert.

The links in my signature are full of more info that will help you. Read it with a critical eye and then come back with some hard questions. Please share the info with your friends too. Let us help make you guys some of the best, most successful, sulcata keepers and sellers in the UK.

carlywelch

5 Year Member
So basically I got 2 ignore any advice I get from my friends that breed tortoise breeds snakes own their own reptile shop and keep them both as pets n really the book was a waste of money

Status
Not open for further replies.