Sulcata and water

MandahG

Location (City and/or State)
Houston
My tortoise Kubo is 14 and about 33lbs... we are living in the north this year so he just recently has been able to go outside.. I know for certain no one has used pesticide on the back yard in the last 3 months and was cut a few times between then and when I first let him out.... He has been extra gassy lately and his poop is very soft... is it possible I have been soaking him to much? He usually sleeps on and off through winter so to hydrate him i soak him an hour or more 2 or 3 times a week so he is good in the heat and he has a soaking pool in the yard that is kept clean... Should I stop soaking him and see if his pool dries out or perhaps check into someone feeding him over the fence unknowing too many treats make him sick?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is this the first he's been eating what's in the yard since last summer? if so, it might just be the change in his diet. Give it a couple more days to a week and see if it firms up. If not you might what to have is stool checked for parasites.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Don't you provide heat for your tortoise in the winter? These are not hibernating (brumating) tortoises. It is dangerous for a tortoise to eat when he can't get warm enough to digest his food. He sounds small for his age.

autox19

east lansing mi
Totally agree with Wellington. Most likely it's from the diet change. Every fall when I bring mine back in from being outside all summer, and change them to (ugh) store bought fresh food, the poop is not pretty. Well pretty loose it is. Takes a couple weeks for it to look normal again.

Odie