Sulcata Basking Lamps

Cooner

I currently use a T-Rex MVB in conjunction with a Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp. I use the Zoo Med to increase overall ambient temp and increase basking area. I am satisfied with the output however the life spans of these bulbs seems very short. Has anybody else experienced this? Is there a longer lasting basking bulb out there? I have read on some threads that suggest using a household bulb from the hardware store?? Possible that my housing unit is causing the bulbs to burn ur prematurely?

Thanks for the info!

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
The bulbs at the hardware store in my limited experience last shorter but are much cheaper so you can get multiple and just replace when needed

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If the bulb is making poor contact in the socket, it can shorten the lifespan. Are you buying them from the same source? It's possible that the store got a 'bad' batch.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Too small of a hood also makes them over heat and burn out sooner.

Also, I would not use a "spot" lamp as these tend to be too hot in one small area and contribute to excessive carapace desiccation and pyramiding.

You don't need indoor UV bulbs if your tortoise gets regular sunshine in a large safe outdoor enclosure. I use 65 watt flood bulbs from the hardware store and they last as long as any other incandescent bulb. I buy 12 packs since I have 5-10 of them running at any given time. I replace them about once a year on average, if they are running all day every day.