is this a good basking lamp for a russion tort???

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Duluth, MN

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The T-rex or the powersun will get the job done. :)

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

I think that a 160 watt is too much lamp for a Russian. I would use a 100 watt personally.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I vote 100 Watt T-Rex is the best bulb for your money. What I have seen as far as data on http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercuryvapourlamps.htm the T-Rex and Mega Ray output is superior to the Powersun (and they are about the same price). The 100 Watt is more suitable for the tortoise size and enclosure size. I tried a 160 Watt and actually couldn't get the gradient right (the bulb was too high to have good output for me to have a correct temperature) in my enclosure.

M

Maggie Cummings

tortoisenerd said:
I vote 100 Watt T-Rex is the best bulb for your money. What I have seen as far as data on http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercuryvapourlamps.htm the T-Rex and Mega Ray output is superior to the Powersun (and they are about the same price). The 100 Watt is more suitable for the tortoise size and enclosure size. I tried a 160 Watt and actually couldn't get the gradient right (the bulb was too high to have good output for me to have a correct temperature) in my enclosure.

Bob has a 200 watt Trex and I really think that has made his winter easier. He doesn't seem as sad this winter as he did last winter when I used a 160 watt for him...

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
I tried the 160W, at the recommended hight I couldn't get a good basking temp.
The 100W trex works very well @ 12" hight.

Status
Not open for further replies.