Sulcata Bladder Stone Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

DozerCooley

Location (City and/or State)
New York
I just saw this from the newsletter but did you figure the composition of the stone or have you just looked after Dozer? (Probably the latter)

We do plan on having it sent out as of right now we've been too caught up in just ensuring our little girl stays alive and on the mend that we haven't gotten around to sending it out. We have it right now just in a sterile glass jar. Definitely want to know what it's composed of in order to help her and others avoid this if at all possible!

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Any suggesting? It needs to be soft and clean as she has incisions that are healing and also 4 metal plates holding her shell together that are probably not all that comfortable to lay on so we want something nice and soft. We have towels down for her but she always ends up flipping them up onto her like she's trying to bury herself. Thanks!

Here's a pic of what I mean about using the chair mat below the feeding area to prevent accidental ingestion of carpet fibers, etc. The plastic is nice and flexible so I don't think it would be too uncomfortable for Dozer.

upload_2019-1-17_9-13-0.png

DozerCooley

New York
Here's a pic of what I mean about using the chair mat below the feeding area to prevent accidental ingestion of carpet fibers, etc. The plastic is nice and flexible so I don't think it would be too uncomfortable for Dozer.

View attachment 262555
Ohh good idea..i actually think we had ordered one of those for her when we first got her. I'll dig it out. Thanks!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Sounds like Dozer is on the mend. Anyone else chime in but 35% humidity sounds to low. Especially if Dozer is not drinking water. Could Dozer get dehydrated?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Also quick question for everyone: We obviously don't know Dozer's full history as she is a rescue and was clearly not properly cared for so we don't know what parts of what we've been told are truthful and what aren't but.. when we first got Dozer exactly a month ago now (and before she had her stone removed) she weighed 4 pounds 10 ounces and was about 12 inches long. We were told they had had her for 3 years.. does this seem like the size and weight of a 3 year old sulcata? The vet mentioned that she seemed younger than 3 to them based on her size. Thanks!
I think thats
Also quick question for everyone: We obviously don't know Dozer's full history as she is a rescue and was clearly not properly cared for so we don't know what parts of what we've been told are truthful and what aren't but.. when we first got Dozer exactly a month ago now (and before she had her stone removed) she weighed 4 pounds 10 ounces and was about 12 inches long. We were told they had had her for 3 years.. does this seem like the size and weight of a 3 year old sulcata? The vet mentioned that she seemed younger than 3 to them based on her size. Thanks!
After reading this post and with Dozer 2.5 in bigger than Opo. I had to convert 1900 g into pounds again. I said Opo was just over 5lbs. NOT Opo is just over 4lbs.
I wouldn't worry about size you will end up with a big Dozer.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

View attachment 262555
Vladimir at 30 lbs. is that pile of dandelion good for all day or 10 min.?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

DozerCooley

New York
Dozer seems to be making slow but steady progress. She's been sunning herself most of the day and only comes out to walk around a little bit and go sun herself some more. She usually eats a small amount each night after her back scute soaking and bandage changes but today she was actually up and eating some this morning and throughout the day as I was watching on camera. I think she's heading in the right direction just much slower than we were hoping for. But as long as a full recover is somewhere on the horizon we'll take any little baby step in the right direction. We are currently trying to get her humidity levels higher and we also bumped up her temperature between 5-10 degrees as well yesterday. Thanks for all of your continued support. I truly think it makes a difference with all of the positive thoughts coming her way! Hopefully our next update will bring even better news!

Status
Not open for further replies.