Sulcata decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

animallover1999

5 Year Member
I want a sulcata tortoise. I really want a baby one. My mom thinks i should get a yearling. I don't know which one i want. I was thinking that a baby would bond with me more, rather than an older one.

*What are the pros and cons of a baby? A yearling?

**Which is easier to care for?

***Which one is not as costly?

****Where should each one be kept (tank size, bedding, do they eat different food)?

*****Would one bond with me more than the other one would?

******Any other information to help me decide what age sulcata tortoise to get?

I have other animals and now I want to get a tortoise. Please answer the questions above :) Thanks :D

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
I think you should read great articles and posts on Sulcata's.
Click on " Forums"
Click on African Tortoises and Sulcata's.
Start reading from the top.

There is very important info for you and your mom.

Good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One won't bond with you more then the other. Tortoises normally don't bond, well say like a dog. Either one will bond as much as a tortoise will. It also will depend on the individual tort, it's a 50/50 shot with anyone you get. You have more room to make errors with an older one. Not that you can do things wrong with them, just more room to get them right with out a big effect on the tort. Hatchlings are more sensitive to errors. Also, it all depends on who you get a hatchling from. If your going to pick the cheapest you can find, well, you may get the sickest too. However, if you buy from a reputable breeder, like a forum member, that starts right from the hatch date and until he gets to you, well then a hatchling would might be right for you. Read the threads at the bottom of my post. They are Toms, one of the reputable breeders I'm talking about. Then, read as much as you can find on this forum and decide which would be better for you. Good luck

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Babies are harder to care for, you have to keep temps, humidity proper. Lots more care.
Yearlings require humidity and heat. But they are safer..kinda like a baby and a toddler...
Babies are cheaper then yearlings. But there are also risks. There is no guarantee with a baby.
Either one can be kept in a tub. But if you get a baby you start out smaller then work your way up..
With a yearling you can get a 50 gal tub. After that you can make an outdoor enclosure.
They really dont bond, they know who you are by your voice. Sometimes mine will just look at me with an evil eye...lol
They are lots of fun. But my opinion, i would go with a yearling, i did. Its less risk. I hear too many people loosing their babies from breeders carelessness. And there is no way for anyone to tell...so good luck to you on what you decide...

Status
Not open for further replies.