Sulcata digging

Limey

Location (City and/or State)
Plant City FL.
My 10 year old Sulcata has just started digging. He has dug down so far and made a turn you can no longer see him 4’ plus down. Before he started digging he was out almost every day to eat. It’s been 3 days now and he has not come out. We live in Central Florida so he’s not digging to stay warm. Should I be worried?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm SO glad my sulcara, Dudley, doesn't dig! He has a large pineapple guava bush plus a heated, insulated shed and he has never offered to dig a burrow.

What are your tortoise's hiding places like?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Even if temperature isn't an issue, I think the biggest 'problem' with letting them burrow in FL is that if they go down at an inopportune time (prior to storm, flooding) you're kinda limited on what you can do to get them out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Even if temperature isn't an issue, I think the biggest 'problem' with letting them burrow in FL is that if they go down at an inopportune time (prior to storm, flooding) you're kinda limited on what you can do to get them out.
And isn't the water table pretty high in Florida? I would worry about the burrow flooding.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I do not promote Camp Kenan's animal care regime, but he does have some small nuggets. I call this one "Do I want a Sulcata"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My 10 year old Sulcata has just started digging. He has dug down so far and made a turn you can no longer see him 4’ plus down. Before he started digging he was out almost every day to eat. It’s been 3 days now and he has not come out. We live in Central Florida so he’s not digging to stay warm. Should I be worried?
They dig to escape the heat, not to stay warm. IN the wild they spend 95% of their lives underground.

Potential issues with burrows: Flooding, collapse, cold temps in winter, other animals like rodents or venomous snakes getting in there, and no access to the tortoise. If none of these are likely, then burrows are great for them. I let mine burrow all Summer long, and then cover the entrances in fall.

Limey

Plant City FL.
I’m thinking about digging him out. Sent a camera down to check on him. He went down about 5’ then made a 90deg then down another 2’ which puts him down about 5’-6’ even if I get to him he weighs about 50lb. He hasn’t been out to eat in over a week

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I’m thinking about digging him out. Sent a camera down to check on him. He went down about 5’ then made a 90deg then down another 2’ which puts him down about 5’-6’ even if I get to him he weighs about 50lb. He hasn’t been out to eat in over a week
Do you have any mazuri tortoise feed maybe that would coax him out. Otherwise that is a lot of dirt to move. Be careful and best wishes

Limey

Plant City FL.
I could try to get him with his favorite food Strawberries. Got plenty of them as we live in plant city the strawberry winter capital. Other wise will be digging. The worst part will be lifting him of the hole.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I could try to get him with his favorite food Strawberries. Got plenty of them as we live in plant city the strawberry winter capital. Other wise will be digging. The worst part will be lifting him of the hole.
Strawberries aren't good for them. I'd use something else.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
If the dirt in your area is like mine I would be very concerned about collapsing the burrow right when you start digging. It will be very hard to find him at that point.
I’d snake a hose or flexible pipe down the hole all the way to him before you start so you have something to guide you.

Limey

Plant City FL.
Thanks. Think I’ll do that. I’m thinking about digging till I get to the bend then seeing if I can reach him and drag him out.