Digging and digging and digging...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utica. MI
So, my little man, Ted, keeps digging in the same corner, almost every night.. he cant fit into his house anymore, barely at all.. is that why?

its not like he is trying to hide, because he will sleep anywhere he falls really, but just at night he tends to dig in the corner for at least an hour and a half almost every night. I cant seem to find anything for his new house that can withstand his heating lamp, because he likes to have something over his head, but he likes to sleep right under the lamp too.

the digging thing, he has always done that since he was little, like hes trying to escape or something, which i wouldn't doubt because he likes to go on adventures.

What i guess im asking is, why does he do this? and will it stop?

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
My sully does this, he's just a baby, loves to dig seems just for fun, so I got him few more bricks of coir so he can dig away
Sullydiggin.jpg

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
lol yeah your little guy looks exactly like mine does, do you have larger ones? and do they dig also? im prepared for everything else that comes along with a big sully, its just he only seems to dig when im trying to sleep lol and Im pregnant so i nap, and as soon as i go down for a nap, he starts lol

Also, his Day light broke.. so i NEED to get him another one, but i want to get him the best thats out there, at a fair price. any advice?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I have a few lg adults...and they all seem to dig in for the night....sometimes one will continue to dig after lights out..

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
My guy is the only Sulcata I have but I have prepared my self for a torts life time full of digging.. Search the forum for sulcata burrows they are pretty amazing

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many sulcatas of all ages engage in this practice. You could get a humid hide and put him in there after lights out every night. If you use the shoe box type it will quiet the digging some.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Yep, my sully loves to dig.. I see him do it all the time!! There's this corner that my sully likes to dig at too.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
IRTehDuckie said:
lol yeah your little guy looks exactly like mine does, do you have larger ones? and do they dig also? im prepared for everything else that comes along with a big sully, its just he only seems to dig when im trying to sleep lol and Im pregnant so i nap, and as soon as i go down for a nap, he starts lol

Also, his Day light broke.. so i NEED to get him another one, but i want to get him the best thats out there, at a fair price. any advice?

Idk if you need just the regular basking lamp or the UVB bulb, but I found a 10.0 UVB CF on amazon.com for only 9.02!!! At the pet store they can be 40. And that's the highest UVB for desert torts

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
The best light to get is powersun mvb, uvb/uva and basking heat in one, they a bit costy but worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.