Sulcata egg tooth still after 3 months?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That’s why I’m here on this forum, to learn more like I said I’ve only had her 4 weeks so I want to raise her right, it’s the 5M21 and here in the UK it’s hard to come by , and expensive but none the less I’m getting it for her even if imported from states which I think I will have to do eventually. Advice is good. Thank you 😊
One of the best, Tom, is helping you. He has raised and hatched many many sulcata for years. Hopefully with the right care, diet, humidity, temps, your sully will catch up to where he should be
Post a new thread showing pics of it's enclosure and he or others can help tweak it if needed.

Derbyshire
They are not being friendly and they should not be socializing together
Even the Hermann and Russian should not be living together, tortoises should not be housed in pairs. What you think is socializing is actually bullying. You are putting your tortoises in danger by doing this.
My two russians live with 3 hermanns. I don’t think they are bullying eachother. They have been together since birth. They don’t follow eachother around and aren’t showing signs of being territorial due to the large group

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My two russians live with 3 hermanns. I don’t think they are bullying eachother. They have been together since birth. They don’t follow eachother around and aren’t showing signs of being territorial due to the large group
Because it's a group they may not be bullying, maybe. However the two species should not be mixed!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The thing is that in their natural wild habitat, tortoises have evolved to live on their own, and not in either pairs or groups. A pair meets, and either fights or mates, then they move on separately. A pair kept together will always be living in an unnatural situation, with one being dominant and the other dominated. This is regardless of what sex they are, and regardless of whether they fight, mate, or just live together in misery.

Shelled

Oxfordshire
If you start them under the best circumstances, they grow really fast. But, that doesn't necessarily mean that if they're started under other circumstances that they are unhealthy. It just means they haven't received the optimal possible care (which one can argue they should receive in captivity). The big caveat about fast growth is that we don't know how that translates to lifespan.
In the wild (which often isn't optimal circumstances) they grow a lot slower, but they have evolved to cope with that, live long lives, maintain populations and exist for millions of years.
Here are two papers about growth of sulcata, also in the wild:
Comparative growth patterns in Afrotropical giant tortoises
Body size development of captive and free-ranging African spurred tortoises (Geochelone sulcata): high plasticity in reptilian growth rates