Sulcata enclosure cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy5.2013

5 Year Member
My hatchling is living in a 10 gallon tank. The substrate is soil. How often should I change it out for cleanliness.

Thanks,
Lee

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 101

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First, you need to get him into a bigger tank. A 10 gallon is not big enough for a hatchling. You need to have a water dish, hide, food plate, and walking space. Plus, a basking spot of 95+ and temps and humidity should both be 80. You don't have enough room in a 10 gallon for all he needs. Get a large tote from a Home Depot.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Really, your tank isnt too bad for the moment. You will need something larger soon. Depending on what you are using anywhere from 4-6 months. They have the under the bed sweater boxes that work perfect for torts. They are long and they are not real tall. Walmart carries them..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To answer your question, I think you will find that you don't need to clean the substrate (change it) once you get the baby set up in a larger tote. You can just pick up the small poops as you see them, and stir the substrate when you add water to keep it moist. I only change my substrate once a year.

Also, I would get rid of that hay and use something like cypress mulch, orchid bark or coco coir. Hay molds when you wet it, and your baby needs a moist environment.

Sammy5.2013

5 Year Member
Wow thanks everyone. I did go to walmart and got a sweater box. It is 10 inches longer than the tank. It isn't very tall but for now he won't be able to get out. He will have more walking room. I didn't know the hay would get moldy when I wet his enclosure. I will hit petsmart this week and see if they have the stuff you mentioned. I am going to see if I can get someone to cut the lid so I can put it on half and hopefully it will help to keep the moisture in. My concern is how close the bulbs are. I have a temp Gaige in there but I don't think it was warm enough in basking spot before so hopefully it will be better.ImageUploadedByTortForum1373752464.506519.jpg. Any more advice would be great. I am really trying to do everything right..

Lee

mainey34 said:
Really, your tank isnt too bad for the moment. You will need something larger soon. Depending on what you are using anywhere from 4-6 months. They have the under the bed sweater boxes that work perfect for torts. They are long and they are not real tall. Walmart carries them..

What do you do about a lid if at all. I put the screen I had on one side for lights. Is that good enough?

Last edited by a moderator:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
The lid actually holds the moisture in quite well..you can make a stand for your lights, or they sell them. You would have to cut a hole in the top of the lid.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
mainey34 said:

I disagree on both counts.

10 gallons is way to small for a variety of reasons.

Sweater boxes are the worse possible way to house a baby sulcata. They are much too low sided. With out a lid there is no way to maintain good conditions for growth. With a lid the lights are much too close to the tortoise once you add substrate.

A tall sided tote, or a larger aquarium will work just fine, but a closed chamber would be best, in my opinion.

Sammy5.2013 said:
Any more advice would be great. I am really trying to do everything right..

The above quote is the reason I'm choosing to add further comment here.

Sammy, please click the links in my signature and read those threads. They will explain in detail the answers to all your questions and probably answer some more questions you didn't know you had yet. When you get done, you should have a pretty good idea of how to proceed, and hopefully you'll have lots more questions too.

Status
Not open for further replies.