Sulcata feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Tank is starting to really put away the food. He gets a big pile of greens in the AM, at first he only ate every other day or so. And even then only half of his meal. The last week he eats ALL of the AM portion. Tonight he was hanging out by his dish so I threw in some pansies and he gobbled them up. Should I be feeding him twice a day? I know he's got a lot of growing ahead of him. Once this stupid rain goes away he will get grazing time too :)

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Everything sounds like its going smooth, im sure he loves it outside :)

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
He's starting to figure it out, poor guy was scared at first. How often do most sully keepers feed?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If it's warm rain, let him go out in it. Most torts enjoy rain. It's cold that they hate :)

With a young and growing tort you can't overfeed. Feeding twice a day is fine, especially if he has nothing to graze on in between.

Torts are not particularly bright, but they do associate you with food. Could you introduce some edible plants in a seed tray to the indoor enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed my hatchlings at least twice a day, plus some grazing time. As long as all is good and conditions are right, I like them to have food available for grazing all the time. Slow growth does NOT prevent pyramiding, but it CAN stunt them. My yearlings also get fed twice a day, even though they are out on graze all day. Once they move outside permanently, at around 10" or so, I don't feed them at all when the weeds are up. During the dry season I feed them once a day, plus leave grass hay out all the time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.