Sulcata hatchlings with crooked shells?

BlackRoseFarm

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So I am new to tortoises and have seen several photos and more than a few Sulcata babies from a few weeks and older in various reptile shops, etc. Recently I came across some with very crooked shells and I had never seen this before. If you were to look at the tortoise head on the shell would not be an even have circle shape but lopsided, or more to one side than the other. What causes this and is it normal? These babies were 3+ weeks old. I was told it is an effect from hatching or how the eggs lays but a normal one; just wondered why I have never seen it before if that is the case.

Thanks in advance!

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
It is more than likely caused during the incubation period. I would say it was due to the medium which the eggs were sitting during incubation became too dry.

BlackRoseFarm

Southern California
They were supposed to be a few weeks old. The umbilicus was closed but still pink around the area. So is this common? Is it improper incubation or is it normal and does it resolve on it's own?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Improper incubation for sure . Humidity and heat has to be close to right so the hatch normally.

BlackRoseFarm

Southern California
Improper incubation for sure . Humidity and heat has to be close to right so the hatch normally.

So when this happens is there any chance they will ever be normal? These people have dealt with tortoises for a long long time and even ran a rescue at one point. They consider themselves well versed in tortoises, are good friends and great people. I did not want to hurt their feelings and I am new to tortoises so I tried not to correct them on anything they said. They also raise on rabbit pellets, no lights, no water, no hide... I just had never seen them like that before.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Stuff happens some times . They may have been a few of the slow to hatch . It happens even when you think everything is right . If they live it will smooth out over time .

Chantel

5 Year Member
Yuba City, CA
Our hatchling was lopsided, but grew out of it. I think it's fairly common. She is 11 weeks old now and looks good.

BlackRoseFarm

Southern California
Stuff happens some times . They may have been a few of the slow to hatch . It happens even when you think everything is right . If they live it will smooth out over time .

Our hatchling was lopsided, but grew out of it. I think it's fairly common. She is 11 weeks old now and looks good.

Good to know, thank you!!