Sulcata health issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

swinkreptiles

5 Year Member
I have been breeding pythons for a long time and know what to do about resp infections, ect but my little sister wanted a sulcata for her birthday in January, I did some research on them then traded for one and it seemed to be in good health, was active, eating well and had no shell issues other than an extra scute. I am a greenhorn and turts and torts so bear with me. In the last month or so it has been getting more and more sluggish, has hardly any appetite now, and I have noticed a yellowish milky fluid coming from his eyes which he will not open either. With the signs im guessing resp infection.

I inject burmese and reticulated pythons with Tylan 200, 1 ML per 20 lbs. Its actually an antibiotic used for cattle with foot rot but its a new remedy for larger snakes with respiratory issues.

I will use the propper dosage to the tortoises size if anyone agrees that I can use this, or is there any other antibiotics that will do less of a damage to the bacteria in the torts gut?

With the way he is now I dont see him making it long.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and any questions or suggestions would be great!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum what is setup like temp's what do you have for light? Do you hear any weezing or see bubbles from his nose? I would call a vet the eye thing does not sound good

M

Maggie Cummings

Are you using a coil UVB light? If so get rid of it immediately. I use Naxcel for a resp infection, or Baytril. I have not heard of the medicine you mentioned. I'd get him to a Vet right away. It takes a long time for a tortoise to show signs of illness, by the time you see the signs he's really sick so he needs a Vet. This is nothing you can fix on your own, unless it's the light. What are you using for light? He has to be a minimum of 80 degrees to metabolize his food. If he's too cold he's not eating and it's all down hill from there. A basking spot of 95 to 100 and a cool side of 80 to 85...HTH

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Swinkreptiles:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you are?

Resp. infection in tortoises USUALLY exhibits as a nose problem...bubbles or clear discharge, etc. Coming from the eyes makes it sound like lighting or substrate to me. I hope you're not using one of those coiled flourescent bulbs.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I agree with everything that everyone else said. I would not try to treat anything at home or ignore it...find an experienced tort vet and make an appointment immediately. Hatchlings, especially Sulcatas, are very fragile. To warn you, the little one might not pull through...they are quite ill already to have the symptoms you describe, although I have no idea about the eye discharge. First thought is not respiratory infection. More info about your enclosure, substrate, UVB, temperatures taken with an accurate thermometer, etc, would be very helpful. A baby food soak could help perk him up a bit...you put a jar of carrot or squash baby food in with baby bath warm water and soak the tort up the where the plastron and carapace meet, for about 15 minutes. Hatchling sulcatas are commonly chronically dehydrated, which can unfortunately lead to death. A moist substrate, moist diet (greens), and soakings can help, but if they were kept dry to begin with, a lot of times it is very tough to turn around. Good luck!

swinkreptiles

5 Year Member
I cant get the pictures to upload but I built a table with 9 inch high sides filled it up to 4 inches with treated top soil, just means no impurities in the soil, it has no fertilizer and no herbicides or pesticides. The bulb is a coil uvb flourecent daylight with a 6500k color rating, its the same thing I used on my plants to grow them during winter aswell as his grass to feed him with. He always has water access but we havent soaked him since he started showing signs of illness. He gets a calcium supplement every two days lightly sprinkled on his food and mineral supplement every 3 days. The basking bulb is a 100 watt infrared with the hottest point being 98 degress F. The cage is kept dry other than his grass patch being lightly sprayed once a day. His diet has consisted of Red Fescue and Bermuda mostly fresh, with spinach and collard greens occasionally thrown in and dandelion weeds are also thrown in with his grass mixture. A tiny piece of apple maybe once a month.

The closest reptile vet is 8 hours away and we just dont have time for that. Kinda the reason for me having posted this to find something to help him out with.

In addition he is holding his mouth open and rubbing his eyes with his legs but still will not open them what-so-ever. But I cant hear any wheezing.

Ty for the help and for the welcome.[/code]

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
swinkreptiles said:
The bulb is a coil uvb flourecent daylight with a 6500k color rating, its the same thing I used on my plants to grow them during winter aswell as his grass to feed him with. He always has water access but we havent soaked him since he started showing signs of illness. .[/code]

I'm parroting here since I've never had a hatchling but until someone else posts ..... turn off the coil bulb. Most here say they will damage the little one's eyes and is likely the reason he's rubbing his eyes and has the discharge. He needs to be soaked.
Trust me .. those here will help as best they can. Check back often and read everything they write. Good luck.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I agree with Maggie to try taking that bulb out---there have been cases of eye problems including blindness with them. Worth a try. Put in a household flood light until you can get a MVB bulb to replace it (100 Watt Mega Ray, T-Rex Active UV Heat, or Powersun, in a ceramic socket hood fixture, using a lamp stand with the bulb face parallel to the substrate, mounted 12 to 18 inches above the tort to get the desired basking temp, measured with an accurate thermometer such as a temp gun).

It is best to increase soaking when ill. Just make sure the water is a good baby bath warm temperature (place heat over it or replace the water mid-soak if needed).

I would be shocked if he was eating the grass. Spinach is too high in oxalic acid. I'd try some spring mix to get him eating. A substrate for 100% of the enclosure that can be kept moist is ideal...such as a cypress mulch or coconut coir or organic soil.

Honestly, I don't see him making it without vet care. The symptoms you describe are very bad. He was probably dehydrated when you got him. Chronic dehydration, hatchling fail syndrome, not eating, damage to the eyes, and maybe some sort of respiratory infection (open mouth breathing would point in that direction, but without nose discharge, bubbles, wheezing, that is interesting)...and who knows what else.

Are you sure the closest reptile vet is 8 hours? Was that from your information, or what you saw on our list? Our list doesn't include everyone...just ones that were submitted. If it was my tort, I'd call around to find someone closer. I agree 8 hours isn't too feasible.

Even if you get an adequate type of antibiotic, soaked more, and replaced the bulb, I don't think that is going to be the cure...there are quite a few things going on here. I'm really sorry we don't have a quick answer.

M

Maggie Cummings

Please take my word for this...turn off the bulb right away. It's the bulb that's damaging his eyes. I had a coil bulb that blinded one yearling tort, another died and the third made it alright. The yearling was blinded in one eye and the pain it caused him hurt so much that it hurt anyone who looked at him. It took 2 years of Vet treatments and a lot of money to have a tort who was blind in one eye with diminished sight in the other. So please believe me when I tell you to turn off that bulb. Then you need Terramycin eye ointment in his eyes as many times a day as you can. Daily wash his eyes then put the ointment in them. It's a serious thing that takes a lot of work. But please turn off that bulb right now. You can use an incandescent bulb while you buy a MVB... I doubt he will live without the intervention of a reptile Vet...have you look thru our list? Where are you? No matter what else you do stop using that light, that is your problem...it's the bulb...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Read... READ and read some more.. on here. not outdated websites.. read the replys. If you arent sure what it means ASK more questions.. turn OFF the coil bulb.. He needs a nice WARM soak,, he has been sick for a month and needs help now...
terramycin ointment can be bought at most Feed Stores. Some pet supplies or on line. start calling around to find out who has it, dont waste you time or gas drving around..
Do A warm babyfood soak as well. get a jar of strained carrots, mix it with warm water.. and place the tort in it, SHALLOW, and leave him there for 30 minutes.. makes sure he doesnt ge chilled.
Do all of this, and he has a chance of getting better.. do nothing and he will die. Not a humane death..
Can you get a hold of some Mazuri tortoise food? Many people here have it and can send you some. What state are you in?

swinkreptiles

5 Year Member
Ok Lights off and is not comin back on, had her go pick up some carrot baby food and we are gonna soak him. Are you SURE cypress mulch is safe? Natural pesticide in the bark of the trees, so I wouldnt figure on that being good for him to eat? And I just ordered some eye ointment. She just told me that a couple of nights ago after the lights were out that he was up and about, nicely perked up and moving around. Still too late? I am in Northeast Arkansas, Little town of Piggott. I have tried to find a herp vet for my snakes many times and have had no luck. The closest one from my zip code with no travel restrictions was in Feyettville, on the other side of the state.....

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Well youre right about the lack of vets in your state .... only found one and dont know how current it is. Also dont know the area so could be the only one you know of 8hrs away
Arkansas

Springdale

Mark R. Davis, DVM
Davis Animal Hospital
1430 Carley Road
Springdale, AR 72762
Tel: (479) 751-2525

Again ... good luck with the hatchling. You can only do what you can. As I said you will get much help here so keep updating daily and you will get feed back.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
the fact he was up and moving around when the lights were off.. i think is a good sign.. we will all keep our fingers crossed. promise to keep us updated.. :)
glad you found us!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
M

Maggie Cummings

I have cypress mulch in many of my habitats without a problem. I am not new at keeping tortoises. I wouldn't tell you anything that would hurt your animals. I only relate my own experience...

Baby food soaks daily and eye ointment and keep us posted. The important thing like Laura says is you MUST do what we tell you to do. He has a chance if you do what we say, do nothing and he dies...Kinda harsh tho isn't it...keep us update good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.