Sulcata lethargic, not eating or walking around as usual.

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Location (City and/or State)
Pflugerville, Texas
Sorry for the longer story but I think you will need the information in order to advise me. (Hoping the organization makes it seem less lengthy like when I am grading college papers. Ha ha :))

His normal behavior:
My 6-yr-old 35lb sulcata lives outside in central Texas. He has a 32x40 foot enclosure with no other pets, a large tree for shade, a hide that faces east and a shaded house that faces west. I have only had him 2 months so I am still learning. He usually eats well: grass, mulberry leaves daily, Mazuri 5M21 and a cactus leaf from my yard every 2-3 days. He usually walks for several hours in the morning around 8:30 and again in the evening around 6 or 7 PM. He poops normal every day to every other day. He plays in his sprinkler by choice about every 2 days although I water his yard daily. When I see he is walking, I go turn his sprinkler on. He has a mister I put on his cave any day he has not played in the sprinkler and additionally any day when the humidity here is low. The humidity has been high all summer. The temps have been our usual lows in the 70s and highs up to 102. He has shade, sun, water and food at all times. He has been very active and routine for 2 months.

The only changes 2 days ago:
2 days ago we had a cold front, lows in the high 60s and highs in the low 90s. I removed the hay in his house and replaced it with mulch a week ago. 2 days ago I fed him 2 leaves of cactus that was given to me. I didn't think about mine having no pesticides and no fertilizer and that the gifted cactus might. No other changes.

His behavior change for 2 days:
For the last 2 days he stayed in his cave/hide. Did not come out to eat or walk. Yesterday he had watery eyes. I turned his mister on him for fear of dehydration and tried to coax him out with favorite treats. He looked at me and turned away to sleep. I left the mister on all day.

What I did and results:
Today, I pulled him out of his cave at 9 AM after an apple did not entice him out. (He does not get fruit except for watermelon rind as a seldom treat. This was his first with me). I checked him over. NO signs of any problem. NO watery eyes, nothing. He ate half the apple, walked to his food bowl, ate a little of that, ate 2 mulberry leaves, avoided the sprinkler, walked the perimeter for about 30 feet then went the 15 more feet into his house to sleep again.

Finally, the questions?
Is this normal behavior for a sulcata to take a few days off? Was it possibly the change in temperatures? Was is possibly the gifted cactus and he will be fine with continued monitoring and usual food provisions? Is there a number of days of this that is no longer normal and he should go to the vet?

I love my boy and will do whatever he needs. :<3::tort:
Thank you for tolerating my thoroughness.
Brenda

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
BTW I did check the frequently asked questions before creating this thread. Most on this subject are regarding babies with issues that do not seem to be Otis' problem such as lack of humidity or poor diet.

KatApril

Chicago
Do not mist his cave. Keep that dry. For some reason my Binkey acted this way when i fed him MAZURI it would go away everytime id take it away, i havent seen anyone else have issues with mazuri so was very confused, but since i stopped feeding it Binkey doesnt act that way.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Sorry for the longer story but I think you will need the information in order to advise me. (Hoping the organization makes it seem less lengthy like when I am grading college papers. Ha ha :))

His normal behavior:
My 6-yr-old 35lb sulcata lives outside in central Texas. He has a 32x40 foot enclosure with no other pets, a large tree for shade, a hide that faces east and a shaded house that faces west. I have only had him 2 months so I am still learning. He usually eats well: grass, mulberry leaves daily, Mazuri 5M21 and a cactus leaf from my yard every 2-3 days. He usually walks for several hours in the morning around 8:30 and again in the evening around 6 or 7 PM. He poops normal every day to every other day. He plays in his sprinkler by choice about every 2 days although I water his yard daily. When I see he is walking, I go turn his sprinkler on. He has a mister I put on his cave any day he has not played in the sprinkler and additionally any day when the humidity here is low. The humidity has been high all summer. The temps have been our usual lows in the 70s and highs up to 102. He has shade, sun, water and food at all times. He has been very active and routine for 2 months.

The only changes 2 days ago:
2 days ago we had a cold front, lows in the high 60s and highs in the low 90s. I removed the hay in his house and replaced it with mulch a week ago. 2 days ago I fed him 2 leaves of cactus that was given to me. I didn't think about mine having no pesticides and no fertilizer and that the gifted cactus might. No other changes.

His behavior change for 2 days:
For the last 2 days he stayed in his cave/hide. Did not come out to eat or walk. Yesterday he had watery eyes. I turned his mister on him for fear of dehydration and tried to coax him out with favorite treats. He looked at me and turned away to sleep. I left the mister on all day.

What I did and results:
Today, I pulled him out of his cave at 9 AM after an apple did not entice him out. (He does not get fruit except for watermelon rind as a seldom treat. This was his first with me). I checked him over. NO signs of any problem. NO watery eyes, nothing. He ate half the apple, walked to his food bowl, ate a little of that, ate 2 mulberry leaves, avoided the sprinkler, walked the perimeter for about 30 feet then went the 15 more feet into his house to sleep again.

Finally, the questions?
Is this normal behavior for a sulcata to take a few days off? Was it possibly the change in temperatures? Was is possibly the gifted cactus and he will be fine with continued monitoring and usual food provisions? Is there a number of days of this that is no longer normal and he should go to the vet?

I love my boy and will do whatever he needs. :<3::tort:
Thank you for tolerating my thoroughness.
Brenda
I’m sorry to hear this Brenda. I’m thinking perhaps either the temps were a bit too cold for his liking which maybe caused a bit of congestion of some sorts, or maybe the cacti had some chemicals which made him lethargic. Have you given any warm soaks to flush it out his system?

Amelia.Walton

Burnet, TX
I’m sorry to hear this Brenda. I’m thinking perhaps either the temps were a bit too cold for his liking which maybe caused a bit of congestion of some sorts, or maybe the cacti had some chemicals which made him lethargic. Have you given any warm soaks to flush it out his system?

I also am experiencing this with my 3 year old sulcatas. I live in Burnet which is also in Central Tx. My two are hardly getting out of their houses, not eating, not drinking and I haven’t seen any poo in a week. Of course they are new to their 25x25foot enclosure and they have been separated for the first time. But I am concerned. They won’t even eat their new seedlings from seeds from Tortoise supply and not even their grocery store greens. I’m worried. They were getting too big for the house and needed to go outside, but I didn’t realize it would affect them so adversely.

Amelia.Walton

Burnet, TX
I also am experiencing this with my 3 year old sulcatas. I live in Burnet which is also in Central Tx. My two are hardly getting out of their houses, not eating, not drinking and I haven’t seen any poo in a week. Of course they are new to their 25x25foot enclosure and they have been separated for the first time. But I am concerned. They won’t even eat their new seedlings from seeds from Tortoise supply and not even their grocery store greens. I’m worried. They were getting too big for the house and needed to go outside, but I didn’t realize it would affect them so adversely.

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
I will soak him well tomorrow morning. Thank you.

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
Do not mist his cave. Keep that dry. For some reason my Binkey acted this way when i fed him MAZURI it would go away everytime id take it away, i havent seen anyone else have issues with mazuri so was very confused, but since i stopped feeding it Binkey doesnt act that way.
He has eaten it now for 2 months with no problem. But I will definitely experiment to determine if that is a problem. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas

If your 2 just moved into their new setting, it could be a common reaction to stress. Soak them daily. Good luck. Keep me posted. I will pray for yours

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Toretto has what I call “moody days” like this.. for example, yesterday- he didn’t get up and come out on his own... I removed him from his box and he soaked and pooped. He took a short walk around, ate a couple bites and went right back to bed... he didn’t come back out in the afternoon either. I have noticed that he will do this for a couple days Every now and then.. he seems absolutely fine and on his normal days is right back on schedule... maybe it’s the heat? I will be anxious to read everyone’s thoughts as well and hope the best for your big guy...

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
Toretto has what I call “moody days” like this.. for example, yesterday- he didn’t get up and come out on his own... I removed him from his box and he soaked and pooped. He took a short walk around, ate a couple bites and went right back to bed... he didn’t come back out in the afternoon either. I have noticed that he will do this for a couple days Every now and then.. he seems absolutely fine and on his normal days is right back on schedule... maybe it’s the heat? I will be anxious to read everyone’s thoughts as well and hope the best for your big guy...
Thank you, Heather. I have been so worried, even sleepless, thinking "OMG I poisoned my new boy by giving him food I didn't raise." I am waiting until closer to his usual walking time of 8:00, then a nice warm and long soak will ensue.

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
I am so happy to report he is definitely better today. His eyes were much more alert. not watery, and he was awake early. I didn't wait for him to come out on his own. I pulled him out of his house and soaked him for 30 minutes without much protest from him. He ate mulberry leaves and released a lot of gas in his bath. He then proceeded to walk a little and eat almost his usual amount of pellets and leaves. The temp today is 85 F at 10 in the morning and expected to be near 100. He seems to like those temps. Happy Momma today.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Yep. Same with our Sully too. Will eat a ton, walk about and rest. Then hide away for some time. All full, hydrated, and good.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I think sometimes I expect animals to act like robots, if their behaviour changes I get worried. It could be sleeping more or routine changes. They just have lazy days sometimes, I have to keep reminding myself that:)

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV

Don’t you ever feel like staying in bed or going back to bed? Some days I’m active. Others I sleep till noon. My DT does the same. Some days she’s awake before me. Other times I’m up first while she sleeps till noon. Maybe I’m a bad influence on her!