Sulcata n leopard similarity issue

alan88k

5 Year Member
Hello it's me again,

This question suddenly cross over my mind...
Id like know that whether they are very similar or mostly same between a sulcata n leopard tortoise? In term of their accommodation, environment, food behaviour, normal activities n basic requirements etc..
Please share your thoughts here n lets discuss abit about this topic coz Im really interested to know.

Regards,
Alan K.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1385438083.415151.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Their care is pretty much the same. However, a sully will burrow and a leopard doesn't. Also, a sully can be very destructive and a leopard isn't. A sully needs a lot more space then a leopard as they get much bigger. Their personalities seem to be very different. I have a leopard and he is very calm, and pretty much just goes about his own business. The Sullies sound much more personable and clown like and some want to be in your business.

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
People have told me they are very similar but they are techniquelly a whole different tortoise so I'm not exactly sure .

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I would say the similarities are their diets and the temperature/humidity conditions you raise them in as hatchlings.

They have both behavioral and physical differences.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I think the sameness issue is, if I may ramble a bit, similar to a western pond turtle and a red eared slider. Care is almost the same, environment is almost the same, they inhabit the same areas if introduced, but I'm sure they have quirks that make them very different, be that in personality, outgoing ness, hardiness, and so forth. Keep in mind, the ONLY critters mentioned that I have any direct, personal experience with would be the sulcata. That being said, I feel the requirements of a sulcata and leopard overlap enough that I would not hesitate to take on a leopard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you are asking because you want to house them together, its a bad idea. I don't recommend it.

If you are just trying to learn about two different species, that is cool.

Size and behavior are different. And sulcatas tend to eat a lot more grass and grass hay as adults.

alan88k

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Their care is pretty much the same. However, a sully will burrow and a leopard doesn't. Also, a sully can be very destructive and a leopard isn't. A sully needs a lot more space then a leopard as they get much bigger. Their personalities seem to be very different. I have a leopard and he is very calm, and pretty much just goes about his own business. The Sullies sound much more personable and clown like and some want to be in your business.

Thanks for sharing Wellington.
Somehow, You make it sounds like, a sulcata is more like a garage mechanic: massive space, rugged, tough n somehow would like to attract attention lol! while a leopard is a office lady which requires adequate space, steady n more of doing own business... Hahaha but yeh it sounds interesting! :D

Team Gomberg said:
I would say the similarities are their diets and the temperature/humidity conditions you raise them in as hatchlings.

They have both behavioral and physical differences.

Yeh that's what I'm wanting to know. We are always talking about the way to raise a baby tortoise. The main issue confusing me is that, most of their diet n enclosure requirements are nearly same. So I'm wondering if they have similar personalities afterall. Seems that I've got the ans. Anyway, can u please explain more in depth how do they different in behavior? like how wellington said. thank you.

Cowboy_Ken said:
I think the sameness issue is, if I may ramble a bit, similar to a western pond turtle and a red eared slider. Care is almost the same, environment is almost the same, they inhabit the same areas if introduced, but I'm sure they have quirks that make them very different, be that in personality, outgoing ness, hardiness, and so forth. Keep in mind, the ONLY critters mentioned that I have any direct, personal experience with would be the sulcata. That being said, I feel the requirements of a sulcata and leopard overlap enough that I would not hesitate to take on a leopard.

In fact yes, I now know leopard is much more inward behaviour comparing to sulcata. As suggested, no doubt that leopard is much easier to take care of due to the calmness of it. On the other hand, sulcata should be more obvious when it comes to behave differently from normal. any sign of hunger, sickness or happy n sad, should be able to be observed rather easily.

Tom said:
If you are asking because you want to house them together, its a bad idea. I don't recommend it.

If you are just trying to learn about two different species, that is cool.

Size and behavior are different. And sulcatas tend to eat a lot more grass and grass hay as adults.

Thanks for sharing Tom.
I actually just wanted to learn more about the 2 different types. I know sulcata is originally from Saharan, Africa. What about leopards? What is the maturity period for sulcata n for leopard? Is it possible to let them cross over each other after maturity period or no? If sulcata meant to be more aggressive, is leopard more defensive then? perhaps inwards behaviour?