Sulcata nail trimming

LynnsLost

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Are his nails to long? He doesn't exactly walk on them and more on an angle so they've curved inward. I'm wondering if I should trim them so it's easier for him to walk flat and if so how do I go about it
1000002004.jpg

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
Use like dog or cat clippers make sure you have a towel or paper towel and shine light at you when you do it the part of the nail you shod not cut is the black part but the whitish part should be cut but you have to shine light at there nails to tell just ask me more questions if you have too🙃

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
It up to you do you think he needs it its probably for the best if you have seen differents in walking but up to you

LynnsLost

Maryland

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240618_190608_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_190608_Gallery.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise appears to have an orthopedic problem. This is not because of the nails. Its possible that there was MBD when it was younger. Or it could be constipated or carrying a bladder stone now. I would have an x-ray done to confirm or refute these possibilities.

How is this tortoise housed in winter? What size enclosure and what temperatures?

Just be aware that vets don't know tortoise care and you are likely to receive bad info and bad suggestions. Use caution.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Are his nails to long? He doesn't exactly walk on them and more on an angle so they've curved inward. I'm wondering if I should trim them so it's easier for him to walk flat and if so how do I go about it
View attachment 372280
From your picture it is hard to tell what the situation is. That is an awkward position for the leg. If simple stretched out and resting - that's one thing, but if your tortoise walks with the leg in this position, it is not good. The hind legs should be vertical when walking and standing. That normally wears the nails down on the hind legs as they walk.

Can we see a picture of the whole tortoise? To really assess the way the nails are growing we need to see how the tortoise is also growing and if there are any possible issues causing the legs to splay outward and the nails not wearing normally. Something just doesn't look right with the picture you posted about the leg.

At this point, do not trim the nails. They don't look bad. But something looks off. Very possibly just the position when you took the picture, but lets be sure. Post more pictures, please.

Last edited:

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
From your picture it is hard to tell what the situation is. That is an awkward position for the leg. If simple stretched out and resting - that's one thing, but if your tortoise walks with the leg in this position, it is not good. The hind legs should be vertical when walking and standing. That normally wears the nails down on the hind legs as they walk.

Can we see a picture of the whole tortoise? To really assess the way the nails are growing we need to see how the tortoise is also growing and if there are any possible issues causing the legs to splay outward and the nails not wearing normally. Something just doesn't look right with the picture you posted about the leg.

At this point, do not trim the nails. They don't look bad. But something looks off. Very possibly just the position when you took the picture, but lets be sure. Post more pictures, please.
Did you check out the video link @Markw84 The tortoise definitely wasn't walking normal

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Idk how to upload a vid but the way he walks kinda reminds me of a baby chick with splayed legs
It DOES happen with tortoises too. If a baby is kept on a slippery surface wih no traction he could get slay leg just like birds do. What does his walk look like on grass?