Sulcata not growing

Frogleg37

Location (City and/or State)
MICHIGAN
Hello all!

Relatively new to group and so appreciative of all of the great information found on here so far!

I have three sulcata torts I purchased from a breeder about 8 months ago. Two of them are doing very well and growing at a healthy rate. However, I have one that is really slacking.

Some info on their care and set up:
- I have a large wooden tortoise table (10ft x 1.5ft) with enclosed “hide” I keep moist at all times with hay and orchid moss
- cuttlebone for additional supplement
- I have two basking areas that reach 95-100° daytime
- 2 UVB bulbs (one in each basking area)
- large water tray in enclosure including 3-4 additional soaks a week
- For food: romaine, grasses (dried and fresh), prickly pear, dandelion greens, bell peppers, zucchini and some tortoise pellets
- orchid bark substrate (I found it keeps moisture well in hide and keeps food and water relatively clean

My little tort is always the first to the food dish and has a very healthy appetite. It is also very regular with toileting in and out of soaking. It’s siblings are almost double it’s size and kept in the same conditions. I’m not sure if it makes a difference but possibly worth mentioning, two of my torts are split-scute (including the one in question)

I will include a picture, the little guy in question is on the left.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

• 8D8A2D32-559C-49CD-8B96-3235E940C4AD.jpeg
    8D8A2D32-559C-49CD-8B96-3235E940C4AD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
10ft x 1.5ft is not a large table for a tort, we reccomend more than twice that square footage for one tort, let alone three. Also a table will never remain humid enough for youngsters like these, and as expected under the circumstances, they are pyramidding.

Sulcata should not be housed together at the age your torts are now, bullying is likely and is probably related to why the two smaller torts are not keeping up with the bigger one. They need to be separated into their own enclosures now im afraid.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all!

Relatively new to group and so appreciative of all of the great information found on here so far!

I have three sulcata torts I purchased from a breeder about 8 months ago. Two of them are doing very well and growing at a healthy rate. However, I have one that is really slacking.

Some info on their care and set up:
- I have a large wooden tortoise table (10ft x 1.5ft) with enclosed “hide” I keep moist at all times with hay and orchid moss
- cuttlebone for additional supplement
- I have two basking areas that reach 95-100° daytime
- 2 UVB bulbs (one in each basking area)
- large water tray in enclosure including 3-4 additional soaks a week
- For food: romaine, grasses (dried and fresh), prickly pear, dandelion greens, bell peppers, zucchini and some tortoise pellets
- orchid bark substrate (I found it keeps moisture well in hide and keeps food and water relatively clean

My little tort is always the first to the food dish and has a very healthy appetite. It is also very regular with toileting in and out of soaking. It’s siblings are almost double it’s size and kept in the same conditions. I’m not sure if it makes a difference but possibly worth mentioning, two of my torts are split-scute (including the one in question)

I will include a picture, the little guy in question is on the left.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you all in advance!
Here is what I see:
1. Open topped tables don't work for this species. You can't maintain the correct heat and humidity. Its like trying to heat your own house with no roof. It just doesn't work.
2. No hay and no moss. Hay is fine as food for larger sulcatas but not babies. It will mold on damp substrate. Moss does nothing and its an impaction risk.
3. What type of UV bulbs?

Most importantly: Where did you get the tortoises, and how were they started?