Sulcata pyramid

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogart20

5 Year Member
So I hw e had my sulcata for a little over a year and his shell is bumpy, it's starting to pyramid. I was following the diet from the bet store (half greens and veggies and half grass). Im just recently starting him on a new diet but I would like to kno some tips to fix it before it gets out of hand. It has an indoor enclosure and he only gets outside when it's sunny ( which is rare untill the summer)
And also is pyramiding something that can be fixed???

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
When I have a question I always try to find it in the forums search engine first! You can try to search "pyramiding" this way and find TONS of helpful info. I'm a brand new sulcata owner but this has helped me a lot. Good luck.

bogart20

5 Year Member
I did search for info hence the new diet for my tort but it always best to have info frm ppl who know their stuff.
I find that info when you search varies and can be false. I find it's less likely you get good info from people you know have torts and have probably dealt with the problem first hand

Less likely false *

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
You can read some o the past forum threads on humidity and daily water sprays of the shell:) pyramiding cannot be reversed but with the correct diet and care, you can stop it from further occurring and as your tort gets older, it will be a lot less noticeable:) welcome and you've come to the right place to learn about getting a smooth shell and preventing pyramiding. Do you have any pictures of your setup so we can further help you? Can you tell us some more info like substrate, temps in your indoor setup, etc?

I think what he means is to get all your information in this forum but you can click on the search button and type in pyramiding and lots of wonderful threads/prior postings will come up for you:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
After a year, it's pretty much a done deal. Pyramiding is not caused by diet. That's why all of your attention to the diet didn't prevent it.

Here's what you can do now to try and improve the situation:
Soak him every other day or so.
Keep feeding that good diet with lots of grass.
Offer a humid hide, but make sure you keep him warm at night. Don't let him get cold and humid at the same time.
Get him outside for sunshine and exercise in a large and interesting pen as much as possible.

bogart20

5 Year Member
Well I dnt have pics ryt now but I will put some up.
But it's always 70 or higher in my house and in his hot spot it's 95.
It's not a fancy setup or anything it's a huge cardboard box, not tall but pretty wide, maybe like 2.5ftx 2ft. Maybe 1.5 ft tall.
Eco earth coconut fiber for substrate and a pie dish for his hide spot because it hold moisture quite well ( not foil but a glass pie dish to prevent him from chewing it).
And everyday it's sunny I take him outside for like 4 hrs.
I spray him with a squirt bottle everyday and I soak him every couple days maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

Well in part it was what ur saying about humidity because the people at the pet store said to keep it dry but that changed a while ago but they said for mostly greens with grass on it. I'm trying out mostly grass with some greens throughout the week. Would this be a better diet?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would switch the card board box for a plastic tote of some type, to hard to keep humidity up in a box. It does not have to be fancy, but a cardboard box is not ideal for long term housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.