sulcata ri

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotth42

10 Year Member!
hi i was just to the vet and my sulcata has a ri and i was told he needed 1 shot a day for 7 days of baytril.they gave him the shot in his front right leg before the shot he was active and eating with bubbles coming from the nose and mouth and now after the shot he is inactive and seems to be having trouble walking and theres more bubbles coming from his nose and he looks like he going to die.whatt heck is going on after this shot?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Where are you located and is your vet a exotic vet? Why I ask is baytril is not always a good drug of choice for herps.

scotth42

10 Year Member!
i'm in tn and yes she's a reptile vet baytril is given to alot of sulcatas in need to know what to expect after the shot

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi,
Baytril does tend to sting at the injection site, but it is a very good antibiotic. Lots of tortoises will go off food while they are getting Baytril shots, so that's normal.
Make sure you give the next shot in the left front leg, than the right leg, than left and so on. That way the injection site gets a chance to heal.
Also you need to keep your sulcata around 86F, 24/7 while your giving the antibiotics. This way his own immune system will help the antibiotics work better.

Danny

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I hope your sulcata heals quickly, When a boxie that I rescue had a RI and a vitamin definacy - he didn't eat until a few days after his last shot. Keep him warm and hydrated!! And do what Danny said.

scotth42

10 Year Member!
ok what was scaring me was that she would just lay there with her legs stretched out like in a coma and not move.also 2 times it seemed like she was choking up really hard, like dry heeves she did that 2 times i have soaked her and put her back and she got up and walked all the way back into her hide.so that was good to see. now she seems fine i think the dose is 0.10 everyday for 7days she was active and eating, but after the shot now not active and not eating today at all.but the bubbles from the nose and mouth seemed to have stopped also the breathing seems better.is this possible after 1 shot?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Scott, I also had to do this with my 4 inch sulcata and 2 Adult Greeks. The greeks seem to have little difficulty with the shots but the Sulcata. You would have thought I had crippled her. She refused to move her leg or walk on it. And it was in her front leg. Giveing it in her back leg was easier on her it seemed. I soaked her and then just put her in her hide and let her rest 7 days and she was good as new. Danny helped me thru it all so I would defienely listen to his input. He is a great resource and knows his stuff.

scotth42

10 Year Member!
ok his shots are done his nose bubbling has stopped he is very active and eating good. but for some reason in the mornings it looks like he holds his head out and it looks like his throat puffs up a bit then he makes like a noise like whistling he does this like blowing a puff of air i guess. it happens for a few mins then when he warms up it goes away
and i don't hear it anymore. also after a soak he was eating and bubbles came out of his nose, she had went under the water in her soak so could this be what it was? i need to know if she is still sick or getting better she always ate even during the injections but she makes this one noise it may be a normal noise it doesn't happen all the time, it seems like it is when she is cold she is doing it less since i have been keeping her warm. it was really bad when i got her like gasping noises . also she has moved out of her cool hide and now digs in next to the light mostly all day she moves back and forth but after feeding always goes to the light stays there most all day. is this her way of fighting this staying hot will this help?

scotth42

10 Year Member!
Itort said:
Where are you located and is your vet a exotic vet? Why I ask is baytril is not always a good drug of choice for herps.
can you tell me some better choices of meds then the baytril something that works so can tell my vet and maybe switch?

scotth42

10 Year Member!
egyptiandan said:
Hi,
Baytril does tend to sting at the injection site, but it is a very good antibiotic. Lots of tortoises will go off food while they are getting Baytril shots, so that's normal.
Make sure you give the next shot in the left front leg, than the right leg, than left and so on. That way the injection site gets a chance to heal.
Also you need to keep your sulcata around 86F, 24/7 while your giving the antibiotics. This way his own immune system will help the antibiotics work better.

Danny

the heat at night worked great she is much better but sometimes when she breathes i hear a slight whistle thru her nose and when i pick her up and put her on the floor she will walk but then that puffing noise starts then when i put her back on her table it stops this is my only concern. she is active and eating great she seems normal but this noise has been here since i got her. also is there any other antibiotics other then baytril that are much better for sulcata if so can you give me some names maybe i could get my vet to switch meds. but the thing is there may not be anything even wrong with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.