Sulcata Shell Chipping

oumilk

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, Texas
Hello,

My tort seems to have these chips in his shell that we've been treating with betadine every day and cleaning his house in case it's too damp. However, it seems to not be getting better and we are trying to find a vet but trying to know whats causing this. From other posts it could be shell rot or normal wear and tear so trying to see if any more experienced people have a better idea.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
  • IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
  • IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A couple things spring to my mind. . .

Betadine inhibits the growth of new white blood cells and should not be used on a regular basis. Once is enough.

And when we see burning between the scutes like that on the new growth it's usually from a light or heat source being too close to the shell.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,

My tort seems to have these chips in his shell that we've been treating with betadine every day and cleaning his house in case it's too damp. However, it seems to not be getting better and we are trying to find a vet but trying to know whats causing this. From other posts it could be shell rot or normal wear and tear so trying to see if any more experienced people have a better idea.

Thanks!
Hello and welcome.

Shell rot happens on the plastron, and its pretty non-existent in sulcatas. High humidity is good for sulcatas.

I agree with Yvonne. This look like heat damage from an overhead heat source. Basking lamps and CHEs should not be used with larger sulcatas. Is that what you've got for heat in the colder months? We can make suggestions for safer and more effective alternatives.

oumilk

Austin, Texas
We have a chicken coup heater that does hot air for winter. Is there a better alternative? I was worried about the side chipping a bit but I will stop using the heater during winter until I find a better one. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We have a chicken coup heater that does hot air for winter. Is there a better alternative? I was worried about the side chipping a bit but I will stop using the heater during winter until I find a better one. Thank you!
There are many types of chicken heaters. What type was it?

Here are two ways to do it safely and effectively. Both of these depend on having a well sealed insulated box: