Sulcata sightings in Central Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boutselis

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:
boutselis said:
The person who claims to have had tortoises stolen from him has contacted me but in stead of being forth coming with the info I asked for he is trying to get me to email him when using this site should be just fine.

We have looked for the owner and unless someone can make me very certain that this is their tortoise then I will not give her up without a big fight. He claims he had tortoises stolen and he lives in my area but won't tell me what area that is unless I email him.

fat chance.

It will be very easy for the owner of this tortoise to identify her (If it is actually a her for I have no idea).

This is the info that was sent, I'm being as forthcoming as I can, without blatantly saying where the animals were exactly located.......

All I want are my Tortoises back, as I have well over $10,000 invested in this group, and now they're gone.......

I don't mind going for broke when I have something to show for it, however, I went for broke and now have nothing to show for it.......Except for being broke......

Sorry i prefer to keep things off a Forum - I pay attention to my E-mail, as I belong to probably 12 different forums and keeping track of Forum PMs gets to be a bit tiresome.......

Re: Found Sulcata
To: boutselis
boutselis Wrote:
I'll wait for the info I requested as well as you telling me the identifying mark on this tortoise. There is absolutely no reason I should email you when you can talk to me here.

EricIvins Wrote:

boutselis Wrote:

EricIvins Wrote:
Can you please E-mail me at [email protected]? I recently had a few Adult sulcatas stolen from me in the same area, and the animal you found may potentially be one of them. I'd really appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,
Eric

what area is that exactly

Palm Bay - I can't really say too much more, but this particular Female is rubbed on the back Carapace Scutes, has two divots on the second to front Carapace Scutes, and her front leg scales are worn down a bit. I had just acquired her a few weeks before the animals were taken, so I don't have any pictures. I'm fully equipped to deal with these guys, and if you want, I can give you either a Sulcata hatchling when my next clutch hatches, or I have Cherryhead Redfoots right now. I'd really like to try to get as many of these animals back as I can. I was working on a type of GPS tracking system for the big Tortoises before this happened, I just haven't found the right components yet. I'd appreciate all your help in this matter.

Thanks,
Eric

All that information was in the previous PM that was sent - Look at the quotes above.

Thanks,
Eric

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/private.php?action=read&pmid=91265#ixzz1TSPmRCcM

I don't know why I didn't see any of that when I checked the pm the first time. Sorry about that. I thought you were avoiding my question. Any way. I have serious doubts that this is your tortoise. Your description does not match what we have.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Serious doubts as in how? You've found a Tortoise that didn't belong to you, and the time line coincides with everything that has happened. Let's see pictures of the Tortoise in question. I'll see if I can get pictures from the previous owner. I still have the Male that she was paired up with for him, and they both fit together like Legos. Even if this isn't the Female I believe it may be, there are still other animals it may be.......

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Baoh said:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-spurred-tortoise-pen?pid=281552#pid281552

Eric, this one doesn't look quite like the written description, but I wouldn't know as well as you and it's only one photograph.

You can see on the picture what would be the divot on the right side of the Tortoise on the first Costal scute. I was off when I said the second. That is from the Tortoise being bred by a Male. The rub on the back Costal and Supracaudal scute is from the same thing.

Let me re-iterate - I'm not looking for a free Tortoise......I do find it rather frustrating when someone has potential stolen property and is being stand offish about it..........I've bought stolen Turtles before, then had to eat everything and hand them over to the proper owners.....Been there, done it, and it happens in this world unfortunately.......

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
EricIvins said:
Baoh said:

Eric, this one doesn't look quite like the written description, but I wouldn't know as well as you and it's only one photograph.

You can see on the picture what would be the divot on the right side of the Tortoise on the first Costal scute. I was off when I said the second. That is from the Tortoise being bred by a Male. The rub on the back Costal and Supracaudal scute is from the same thing.

Let me re-iterate - I'm not looking for a free Tortoise......I do find it rather frustrating when someone has potential stolen property and is being stand offish about it..........I've bought stolen Turtles before, then had to eat everything and hand them over to the proper owners.....Been there, done it, and it happens in this world unfortunately.......

I have no stock in this and was only going by your description. If the pic in the post I linked to helps you make a determination one way or the other, I am glad the effort could assist you.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Baoh said:
EricIvins said:
Baoh said:

I have no stock in this and was only going by your description. If the pic in the post I linked to helps you make a determination one way or the other, I am glad the effort could assist you.

Like I've said, it is more than likely one of the animals that were taken - What you would like to do is up to you.......

I've already offered to give you a hatchling Sulcata, or any other Tortoise I have other than another Adult Sulcata to get it back if that is what needs to be done.......Frankly, I don't care either way

When I find time next week I will go a file a Police Report if that's what you want to see. Even though the perimeter Fence is repaired, the damage to it is still obvious......

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
EricIvins said:
Baoh said:
EricIvins said:
Baoh said:

Like I've said, it is more than likely one of the animals that were taken - What you would like to do is up to you.......

I've already offered to give you a hatchling Sulcata, or any other Tortoise I have other than another Adult Sulcata to get it back if that is what needs to be done.......Frankly, I don't care either way

When I find time next week I will go a file a Police Report if that's what you want to see. Even though the perimeter Fence is repaired, the damage to it is still obvious......
Eric, if you're talking to Baoh, you're talking to the wrong person. It's boutselis that possibly (at this point, probably) has your tortoise....
It just looks like you are responding to Baoh...though I know you just may be directing the replies at boutselis.
I think filing the report will be the best at this point, but I'm sorry that you've had this happen. This is really crappy. :(

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
EricIvins said:
Baoh said:
EricIvins said:
Baoh said:

I cannot do anything. It's not my picture, I am not in possession of the tortoise, and you have offered me nothing. I am in no position to affect this situation. Why would I want to see a police report?

All I did was try to link to a photo to assist you.

You are welcome.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I had people confused.......I'd just wish I could get some kind of confirmation instead of running around in circles.......That's all I want.....At this point, it looks at though I will have to replace these animals out of pocket, and try to pursue the potential return of the animal in question in this post.......

boutselis

5 Year Member
So I am just supposed to believe that your tortoise was stolen and brought out to my area and then escaped. You gave a description of the tortoise you lost and it does not fit the one I have.

If a Tortoise can be stolen then some one can be looking for a free one. Just because you say you are not looking for a free tortoise doesn't mean anything to me.

We found a tortoise days before I joined this site and I anounced it over a week before you tried to get me to email you.

You said you were trying to put the word out on the 28th. Why not before then? No posts on this site. No ads under lost and found in craigs list for 2 seprate counties I looked in. So when you say you are not looking for a free tortoise then I have my doubts.

AND, like I said it doesn't fit the description you gave. Is there even a Police report or anything. No pictures. Who doesn't take pictures of there new giant tortoise.

I said this tortoise could be easily identified. You didn't identify it. Don't be mad at me because I am not stupid enough to show you a picture so you can say "ya. thats it"

We looked for the owner. If I actually thought you were the owner I would give it to you. I don't believe you. Thats all.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Eric, if I were you, I would contact the sheriff.It seems to me that they might have better luck talking to the finder. If that is indeed your female, then it's stolen property. Receiving stolen property,at least in my state, is a crime. If you find a bag of money, you just can't keep it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have no dog in this fight, but it seems to me that it could not hurt to email eric some pictures and go from there. You don't have to tell him where you are or anything like that. Just a thought

boutselis

5 Year Member
I didn't receive stolen property. I have really good reason to believe eric is lying. Even if it was stolen, which it isn't, doesn't mean it belongs to anyone who wants to claim it.

If I found a bag of money and advertised '$5000 found. who lost it" I bet I would get plenty of people telling me it was theirs.

Like I said. He described what he lost and this wasn't it. If a police report turns up it will be one made after my post to be sure. If he lost a number of expensive tortoises he would have called the police. If he even had a report filed I would be a little more forth coming.

No picture or evidence of any kind. He doesn't even know what area I live in other than east coast central florida. You know how big that is?

I don't care if any one believes me. I have numerous reasons why I don't believe him. Any one who doesn't think this is all just to convenient of a story just isn't thinking. And you don't even know what I know.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
All I know is that there is only one person in the state of Florida, who I know positively does not own that tortoise, and that's you.
boutselis said:
I didn't receive stolen property. I have really good reason to believe eric is lying. Even if it was stolen, which it isn't, doesn't mean it belongs to anyone who wants to claim it.

If I found a bag of money and advertised '$5000 found. who lost it" I bet I would get plenty of people telling me it was theirs.

Like I said. He described what he lost and this wasn't it. If a police report turns up it will be one made after my post to be sure. If he lost a number of expensive tortoises he would have called the police. If he even had a report filed I would be a little more forth coming.

No picture or evidence of any kind. He doesn't even know what area I live in other than east coast central florida. You know how big that is?

I don't care if any one believes me. I have numerous reasons why I don't believe him. Any one who doesn't think this is all just to convenient of a story just isn't thinking. And you don't even know what I know.

boutselis

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
All I know is that there is only one person in the state of Florida, who I know positively does not own that tortoise, and that's you.
boutselis said:
And how does that help exactly?
Because we found a tortoise walking around loose and could not find the owner it must belong to any person who couldn't describe it?

Like I said. If I thought it was even possibly his I would give it to him.

dmmj said:
I have no dog in this fight, but it seems to me that it could not hurt to email eric some pictures and go from there. You don't have to tell him where you are or anything like that. Just a thought

I just saw your post. Like I said. I don't trust him. And I know a little more than I'm letting on. I wouldn't keep some one else's pet or even keep one of their breeding tools because I don't keep things that don't belong to me when the owner is known but that doesn't mean I am going to hand over anything to some one with a bad story.

"can be easily identified" I do believe I stated that.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
The first thing that should always be done is file a police report, for many reasons.

boutselis

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
The first thing that should always be done is file a police report, for many reasons.

I know If I had "Some adult sulcata's" stolen, even if "I really don't want to get into the specifics of how many, or the exact location" then I would file a police report. You just can't have people walking into your back yard and walking away with numerous heavy creatures without doing anything. I really wish one had been filed.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Why don't you send pictures of your found tortoise to another member here on the forum, and they can tell you if it matches the description of his stolen tortoises?

How do we know your just not showing pictures because you want to keep it? lol.

boutselis said:
I just saw your post. Like I said. I don't trust him. And I know a little more than I'm letting on. I wouldn't keep some one else's pet or even keep one of their breeding tools because I don't keep things that don't belong to me when the owner is known but that doesn't mean I am going to hand over anything to some one with a bad story.

"can be easily identified" I do believe I stated that.

Sorry - But isn't that what your are doing??!!?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
There is a photo available. I linked to a post containing it.

It would be nice if everyone could grow up and there wasn't such cloak-and-dagger nonsense.

There is no risk in saying how many tortoises were lost. A bit more information from all potential parties could be shared to help figure this out. Instead, there's a ton of withholding when the only thing that would really need to be held back would be specific home/facility addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.