Sulcata size and humid environment

Jackyyyy

Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Ontario
What's the size of Sulcata you think they no longer need humid environment? My tort is 5inch and 400gram now, planning to build a big tortoise table.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
From my observations as long as your tortoise is still growing it will still need a humid environment to grow smoothly. Even after it is full grown they can still benefit from some humidity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've always figured if they're big enough to go outside, then they can get by with maybe just a humid night box.

Jackyyyy

Toronto, Ontario
Yea I guess humid night box would be best bet. The place I live only allow torts go out for 3 months a year which means they spend most of their time indoor. And it's hard to build a large closed chamber. That's why I'm thinking a tortoise table.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My large leopards are doing well with a humid night hide indoors. I make them sleep there because the rest of the enclosure is not heated at night, but they spend time there during the day as well.

Gennifer11

You might be right about that. Maybe it was 6-8 or two years. I have a terrible memory

Brendaf

Mesa Az
So enclosed humid chamber in side, but it's ok to be out side when warm enough to but provide shade and water?
My guys are inside and have been fallowing Toms guide lines,still think I see a bit of pyramiding,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So enclosed humid chamber in side, but it's ok to be out side when warm enough to but provide shade and water?
My guys are inside and have been fallowing Toms guide lines,still think I see a bit of pyramiding,
Brenda, this thread is 4 and a half years old...

Outside too much is bad for tortoise babies of any species. They do much better when housed mostly indoors until they start putting some size on. My general rule of thumb is one hour of outside time in a safe enclosure per inch of tortoise. I progress faster than that for small species like Russians, but this rule works great for sulcatas, leopards, stars, etc... This assumes that the weather is permitting, and climate doesn't matter. Same for Palm Springs CA, or Boca Raton FL. Outside too much slows their growth tremendously and also causes the pyramiding you are seeing.

Brendaf

Mesa Az
Thank you...another nugget of information in my basket!
So it looks like I have a couple of years or more to plan a outside enclosure.